Tuesday 1 October 2019

Stencils on Apples Using Sunlight

Have you ever looked closely at the skin of a red apple?  Have you ever noticed how it is red where the sun hit and green where it was shaded by a leaf or something?  I have.

Noticing this made me wonder if I could put shapes or even words on apples using nothing other than sunlight and shade.  It would be pretty cool if this was possible.  So I gave it a try.
Apple tattoo


As it turns out, it is possible, and I can put words or shapes on an apple using nothing other than sunlight and shade.

I had high hopes of how they might turn out, and they were even better than I had even imagined!  These apples were picked from my tree looking like this.  Aren't they remarkable...
apple tattoo using sunlight
Love hearts and other shapes can be put on apples using sunlight
 
I don't know what you would call this, a "stenciled apple" perhaps?  An "apple tattoo" maybe?  I have no idea.

I don't seem to be able to google this because I can't google anything containing the word "apple" without returning nonsense about the computer brand.  Including the search term 'stencil' or 'tattoo' made things even worse.

That meant that I had to teach myself how to do this and can't learn from other people's experience.  I think I did OK for a first try, I had fun, and I certainly learned a lot.


Stenciling and apple, or tattooing an apple, or whatever it is called is a bit fiddly, and it takes time, these took about two months from start to finish, but I did it and I am really happy with the results.

I have some big ideas to try this year.

3 comments:

  1. Plastic apple stickers are a problem and this seems like it could be part of a solution somehow... how long does the stencil last after exposed to light?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,

      I hate those plastic apple stickers. My kids stick them everywhere, they don't break down in the compost, and if they are eaten they come out the other end much the same as they went in.

      With the above pictures the apple remains looking like this until it is eaten, it doesn't fade.

      I am not sure how intricate a design you could put on them. I am still learning how to do it, but even with this initial proof of concept I am really happy with the results. My daughter even took some to preschool as her morning snack, the kids love them.

      Delete
  2. Your stencilled apple photos are truly eye-catching.
    Infinite creativity- you are a great example.
    Thank you for your tenacity and for sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete