Wednesday 8 March 2017

Days to Maturity Pumpkin Kaempw Melon Rilon

This year I planted seeds of a pumpkin named Kaempw Melon Rilon.  I was told it was Cucurbita pepo but I am almost certain it is actually Cucurbita maxima.

Below are the days to maturity for this pumpkin in my garden this year.  I possibly could have harvested the pumpkins a lot earlier (perhaps Christmas time) or a bit later, I don't really know how to tell when pumpkins are ripe.  I don't usually pay them much attention and normally just wait for the plant to die back somewhat and then harvest.

This year I picked an arbitrary day to harvest when the pumpkins had each set a large pumpkin that was no longer growing or changing colour and started to set a second round of fruit.  The pumpkins weighed roughly 8 kg or 9 kg each.

Being in Australia the dates are written in the format of Day/Month/Year.

Kaempw Melon Rilon Pumpkin days to maturity (most likely Cucurbita maxima)

Planted                       16/10/2016                 Day 0
Germinated                 26/10/2016                 Day 10
Started flowering         01/12/2016                 Day 46
Harvest                       05/03/2017                 Day 180 (possibly Day 70 if picked at Christmas)

For a full list of vegetable days to maturity please click here.

Pumpkin - Kaempw Melon Rilon

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. That's very interesting about the plant setting another round of fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have made three or four rounds of fruit so far, each smaller than the last. I think this reduction in fruit size may be because I left the older fruit on the vine.

    The vine I picked the first pumpkin from grew the second fruit the same size as the first, and the next one was a bit smaller.

    ReplyDelete