Saturday 23 November 2019

Are Spider Plants Edible - Chlorophytum comosum

Spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum) have a bunch of fun names including hen and chickens, airplane plant, ribbon plant, spider ivy, St Bernard's lily. In Puerto Rico they call this plant "malamadre” which roughly translates to “bad mother”, I love that name.

Spider plants are interesting, they send out flower stalks that sometimes have flowers but more often just have baby plants instead. These baby plants can be potted up and grow into more plants. The flowers are small and uninteresting and can set seed, but it is these baby plants that are the main reason people grow spider plants.

When I was a child our house had a spider plant in a hanging basket. It didn’t get any direct sunlight, it never got fertilised or repotted, it rarely got watered, and when it was watered it was over watered and left sitting in a saucer of stagnant water. That plant grew for many years and flowered and sent out flower stalks with baby plantlets at the tips. As far as I know it is still alive.

Not many plants are so well adapted to the harsh extremes of being a house plant.
My little variegated spider plant starting to develop roots

There are several varieties of spider plant, some of the better known ones are: variegated, which has green leaves with a white stripe down its center. Reverse variegated forms have a green center and white edges on each leaf. Full green forms have leaves that are entirely green and presumably grow faster than variegated forms. There is even a curly leaf variety which is variegated and has curly leaves.

Recently I got a tiny variegated spider plant baby. I put it in my pocket in the morning and forgot about it while I was at work for the day. When I got home I found this bruised thing in my pocket and remembered what it was, I didn’t have time to do anything so I put it in some water and forgot about it again.

A week later the leaves had picked up and it had started to grow roots, so I planted it in a pot of soil. It was winter so it didn’t do very much, then when spring hit it started to grow pretty fast.

Again, I can’t think of many plants that will survive that kind of abuse.

Spider plants apparently don’t like too much water or they will rot. I am told to let them dry out between waterings. From my experience they seem to grow ok if I just keeping them watered all the time.

I just grow mine in a pot of soil, I assume potting mix is far better. I protect mine from frost as I think frosts would kill it. Spider plants grow thick fleshy roots, at times they also develop larger storage roots that help them survive through times of little water.

I have heard that spider plant is edible, but there are a few plants with the common name of spider plant so I did some research in peer reviewed papers using its binomial name, Chlorophytum comosum, and found a few interesting results.
Spider plant potted up and ready to grow

Most of the papers I found were comparing the yield or chemical composition of different varieties, some were to do with animal fodder, but others were for human consumption.

Apparently the leaves of spider plant are edible, but few people eat them. What I found interesting is that in a few countries such as Iran and India the roots of spider plants were eaten by people. I am assuming that they were eaten cooked in stews or similar, but the papers were unclear.

Perhaps, much like many ornamental plants, the spider plant was once a vegetable? They are certainly simple to grow. I decided to eat one to see what I thought.
My little spider plant growing larger
I ate some leaves raw, they didn't really taste of anything much. It didn't taste unpleasant, it didn't taste of anything at all that I could notice.

They were crisp and took some chewing, perhaps younger leaves would be softer. The leaves were not fibrous, but they were firmer than most things I eat. As they don't really have a taste they could be put in a salad and whatever else is in there would be the star of the dish, but I think the texture would take some getting used to as it is unlike anything else that I eat. Then again, if it cut finely and mixed with other tastier leaves it may add interest to a salad's texture. When my plant is larger I will give it another try.

When it is time to repot I may try to eat a few of the plump storage roots. I will probably eat one raw, and I should try to cook one. If I remember I will try to write a blog post on how that goes.

Who knows, perhaps this is yet another easy to grow perennial vegetable, or perhaps they taste horrible, I will find out soon enough.

If you have a plant and decide to eat one please do some research first, and only try a little to see if it disagrees with you. If you begin to vomit uncontrollably I take no responsibility, that is on you.
Spider plant, growing larger every day!
Spider plant sending up a flower stalk

I hope that my little plant flowers soon so I can try to grow them from seed as I think that would be interesting. Apparently short days and long nights induce flowering, so perhaps I could make it flower. If I can track down some of the more unusual varieties I would love to try crossing them and seeing what interesting new varieties I can create.

At some stage I will likely have extra spider plants, but it won't be for a while yet. When this happens I will try to list them on my for sale page.

15 comments:

  1. You have added a whole new dimension to my thinking about spider plants. My mom had one on her Florida,USA outdoor porch, and as you say, no amount of neglect killed that plant! I have a special interest in plant names- wonder why it would be called "malamadre," it seems to be a good mother, to my way of thinking! You are brave to eat it; I am not that brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,

      I agree with you, I think they are great mothers. I was told they are called malamadre because they throw their baby away from the mother plant.

      I find it interesting they produce these baby plants on the flower stalks and not on their own runners like a strawberry.

      I only ate a tiny bit the first time as I wasn't certain how safe it was. I am looking forward to my plant being larger so I can try one of the roots.

      Delete
  2. I love spider plant and glad to share my experiences about growing in 20 LTR water bottle cut into two parts.It has given me many baby plants since 6 years. I am interested in growing many more varieties of spider plant at home in Howrah W.B.India

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post while searching for a recipe with spider plant, especially the roots, so I kept on searching. Still haven't found one, but discovered two things:
    - There are two completely different spider plants, Chlorophytum comosum (the one you and I want to eat) and Cleome gynandra (eaten in South Africa). https://africafreak.com/six-super-simple-recipes-for-africas-super-vegetables came to the same confusion (see comments and downloadable original recipes)
    - Chlorophytum is not toxic. Cats seem to love nibbling the leaves, this post https://www.instalacije-rahne.si/?p=4899 references dipping the roots in water as a tonic, and https://asian-recipe.com/herbs-and-spices/edible-flowers lists the flowers as non poisonous.

    I'd love to hear more of what you find out about them! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is spiderflower cleome, the spiderplant is also native to Africa. The roots have been used as a medicinal tea,and grounded to a powder

      Delete
  4. Hey Damo! Have you had a chance to try the root tubers yet?

    I just liberated a dozen plants that had been rootbound in a hanging basket at my parents house for years, and a number of the clumps of stolons broke off.

    They seem like they could add a nice crunch to a salad or some filler to a soup at least, but I don't have a lot of time to experiment with them right now.

    Let me know how it went if you tried them, and I'll do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabriela,

      Yes, I have tried to eat the roots! They were crunchy, and didn't have a great deal of taste in themselves. I didn't eat a huge amount, but they didn't upset my stomach or anything. I wouldn't eat them by themselves, but in a salad with salad dressing, or in a soup or something they would be nice.

      My plant flowered and produced seed, I planted it but nothing came of it due to neglect. I now also have a second variety, the one in the pictures above is the usual variegated form, and the new one is reverse variegated. When it is larger I should try to cross pollinate them and see if they produce any interesting seedlings. Potentially something even more vigorous could be produced.

      Delete
  5. Hi Damo, Thanks for writing this blog. I have spider plants all around my apartment and was watering one today, noticing how crunchy and vibrant the leaves look. I know it's nontoxic for cats, so I thought, "But can I eat it too? Has anyone researched this?" I was really pleased to run across this blog post. I don't think I'll try eating it myself (maybe?) but it's really fascinating to find out what they are probably totally fine to eat as a vegetable. Hope you are well and your plants are healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing on this. I am searching for a research topic about whether spider plant can be eaten as a vegetable, or whether it can be used for medicinal purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you share your research? It is said they create a mild hallucinogenic affect for cats and I'm trying to determine if it affects other types of animals too, such as humans.

      Delete
  7. I have 2 beautiful non variegated spider plants. They have just produced 16 babies. Had lots of flowers too. I am hoping to find information on any medicinal use as I will be over run with the beauties soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rescued a very large and neglected spider plant about 13 years ago. It did not take long for her to recover. She threw copious babies regularly and I rooted and planted them and gave them away all the time. When I moved, I let my neighbor have her. I brought her children and grandchildren with me. Now, I have no idea how many generations I have, but they just continue to prosper. I don’t quite know how I feel about eating them. It’s like, you can’t eat an animal you’ve given a name to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Have you some recipes? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I am very happy to read this. Actually Fantastic. The two most significant health benefits of spider plant benefits are ability to purify the air and improve the health. Spider plants absorb carbon monoxide which is lethal for humans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The two most significant health benefits of spider plants are ability to purify the air and improve the health. Spider plants absorb carbon monoxide which is lethal for humans.

    ReplyDelete