Saturday 15 February 2020

Drosera capensis (cape sundew) seedings

About nine or ten months ago I planted some sundew seeds.  They were seeds from a relatively common and simple to grow sundew called Drosera capensis or 'cape sundew'.  They are native to the Cap of South Africa and often feature in people's carnivorous plant collections.  I quite like them.

The seeds I got were mixed 'typical' and 'alba', as a result I now have both typical and alba plants growing.  I prefer the look of typical capensis, but they are all nice in their own way.  I think growing both is nice.
One pot of my sundews

Sundew seeds are tiny, at first many grew but then winter came and a lot of them died.  Then we skipped spring and went straight into a really hot summer, and a lot more died.  Only the strong have survived, and these survivors have grown very well.

I have a few pots of these sundews, some inside and some outside.  I really need to repot them and separate them, but I enjoy having several plants in each pot so I will leave them for now.
Drosera capensis young seedlings
Some were too wet, they grew slowly
They grew larger and started to catch fungus gnats and other tiny insects

The more they caught the faster they grew, the larger they grew the more they could catch
Now they are large enough to catch house flies, moths, and other larger insects

Notice how the leaves curl around their insect prey

My little plants have grown even larger since the last pictures, they are really starting to look impressive and really need to be repotted into larger pots.

The ones I have growing outside are smaller than the ones I have inside.  I thought being outside would give them access to more insects, which it did, but they were also blasted by the heat of summer and covered in thick smoke for week after week.  Now that the weather is more mild the ones outside are starting to catch up in size and I expect them to surpass the inside plants.

Drosera capensis really is an easy to grow carnivorous plant.  I grew them when I was a child and loved them, I have enjoyed being able to grow them again.  They are hardy and forgiving and able to thrive in less than ideal conditions.  It won't be long before they are large enough to flower and set seed.

At some stage I will likely sell some of my sundews, and maybe some fresh seed.  When this happens I will list them on my for sale page.

No comments:

Post a Comment