Wednesday 6 November 2019

True potato onion seeds Australia

We have so few varieties of potato onion (Allium cepa var. aggregatum) in Australia, they used to be grown in every home garden and now they are increasingly rare. For a few years practically nowhere sold them, I am happy to say that this seems to have passed and a few places now stock potato onions to sell to home gardeners. They only appear to have one or two varieties, but it is a great start!

Potato onions are perennial vegetables that are great for permaculture gardeners and kitchen gardens. They are simple to grow, they reproduce by them selves, they return decent crops, but they are too small for my liking.

Potato onions usually don’t flower and the flowers usually won’t set seed, so there are no serious breeding efforts aimed at increasing their size. To remedy this I needed to make my plants flower and produce seed.

A few years ago my potato onions flowered and set viable seed, not many seeds but a few. It took a bit of work but I got a few seedlings from them. All of these displayed a high amount of genetic diversity and every seedling was unique and distinct from all the others.

Oddly enough my seed grown plants showed an increased propensity to flower and a good number of their seeds were viable. Breeding potato onions then became not only possible but also pretty easy.
Seed grown potato onions from the same batch display a lot of genetic diversity

Then a grower friend of mine generously gave me some potato onion seed that were descended from the rather impressive "Green Mountain" potato onions. I grew these and got some nice seedlings from them.

I allowed all my plants to open pollinate, planted a lot of genetically diverse seed, and culled hard. As I now had flowering potato onions from diverse genetics I was able to select for larger onions of different colours. I quickly made a lot of progress, I selected based on size and colour. What I didn’t do was think this through.

After a while I had large onions that did not multiply and had little storage ability, much like many onion varieties that already exist but with less storage ability. I moved house and lost the majority of these ‘potato onions’.

In hind sight I am glad that I lost them, they grew fast and were very large and looked really impressive, but they were a step backwards.
Some seed grown potato onions - highly variable

I still had some of the parent stock that can set seed, and I still had some of the Green Mountain seed that was getting old and losing viability. So I started again, but this time I am putting more thought into it.

This time I have less space and less time so progress is painfully slow, but I am taking a more strategic approach so should get a better outcome.

I still want larger onions, current potato onions are too small to be worthwhile growing and the larger size is the entire point of growing potato onions from true seed. I also want a few more colours, the current potato onions are lacking in this regard. This time I am also selecting for their ability to divide, and for their storage ability. It is these last two criteria that differentiate a regular onion from a potato onion, losing these traits just makes another variety of regular onion.

The ability to divide is one of the most important traits. The whole point of potato onions is that they are perennial and divide so you never have to bother with saving seed.
All these seeds were planted the same day, some are big and some are tiny

Allium seeds tend to have a short life and viability of seed tends to drop off rapidly after a year. Each year I produce more true potato onion seed than I can sow, and rather than waste this I thought I would offer it for sale in Australia to people who are interested. Who knows, perhaps someone will grow something amazing from this.

I plan to sell mixed true potato onion seed from the original stock as well as from the lines I am trying to develop. Some may contain genetics from the improved Green Mountain onions while some will not. This seed is produced from potato onions that divide in my garden and have reasonable storage.
Some of the parent potato onions
Various potato onions
White potato onions multiplying

This has been open pollinated, so I have no way to know what unique genetic combinations will exist. I only grow perennial onions and it may have crossed with any or none of these. This is open pollinated seed and each seedling will be genetically unique. Any plant that is perennial is a new variety and you will be able to share it around and name it as you wish.

Every seedling will be unique, some will produce large bulbs, others will produce small bulbs, and some may not bulb at all. Some will divide like mad, and others will not. Some may grow top sets but most will not. Most should be perennial but there is a small chance that some may be biennial. There should be a nice range of colours.
Potato onion flowers - should produce a lot of seed this year
Honey bees like potato onion flowers
Being open pollinated means there are no guarantees of anything other than diversity. I only collect seed from plants that have reasonable sized bulbs and divide well. Having a decent plant as the female parent increases the chances of growing something good.

As onion seed generally has a short viability I only sell seed that is less than one year old. My potato onions are flowering right now. If you are interested in true potato onion seed it will be listed on my for sale page when it is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment