Thursday 3 January 2019

Bee Forage Map

A while ago I found a bee forage map.  You can drag it to your address, change between miles and kilometers, zoom in and out, change between map or satellite view, and it shows how far bees may fly to forage.

I did not make this map, but I like it.  I will likely forget where it is, so I am linking to it here so I will be able to find it again: https://www.beepods.com/honey-bee-forage-map-radius-diameter-hive-coverage-plants-range.html

Honey bees will fly the shortest distance possible to collect nectar, pollen, water and propolis.  Where possible they will only fly a few meters from their hive and never leave your property.  In spring, when fruit trees are covered in flowers and the lawn is full of blooming dandelion and clover, I doubt my bees would need to even fly over my fence. 

At that time of year there are far more flowers than bees.  Much like it says in Luke 10:2 "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few".

Apple blossom is great in spring

Unfortunately, this changes pretty quickly and my bees need to travel further.  Most of the year the average property will lack enough resources to sustain a healthy hive, so foraging a lot further will be required.  When resources are low, if the hive is strong enough, the bees can fly 10 to 15 km or more.

People get caught up with numbers, but the closer they are to resources the better.  Many people say that most bee foraging occurs within 3 km of the hive.  This may be true, but if resources are closer they will collect them first.  So I look at the 1 km circle to see what is near my place. 

When I look at the bee forage map and zoom in to my place, within 1 km there is part of town with many established gardens, there are fruit trees, willow trees, poplar trees, acacia trees, honey locust trees, silk trees etc, there are many vegetable gardens, there are flowering hedges, there is open grazing land and crop land, there are overgrown yards filled with flowering weeds, there are roadside weeds, there are native flowers and trees, there are vineyards and canola fields (I am not happy about the last two, but there is nothing I can do about them).  All of this means there are a lot of floral resources near by for bees to collect. 

Within 1km of my place there is also a meadery, which has many bee hives.  There are also a reasonable number of backyard beekeepers within 1 km of my place.  Meaning there is a lot of competition for the resources that are here. 

At times there are far too many hives for the resources in the area, which leads to robbing.  I hate to think how much damage this is doing to the native bee population in the area.

I like this map, it showed me just how close I was to so many things both good and bad.  I was far closer than I had realised.
My vegetable garden has many resources, all within 30 m of the hive


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! My wife is keeping bees in Murrumbateman, she will appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete