Sunday 2 June 2019

Chilean Guava

For a few years I have been growing a plant with the common name of Chilean guava (Ugni molinae).  I think there has been a push of late to call them "Tazzie Berry" or "Tassie Berry" to make them more marketable while people think they are a new fruit.  According to wikipedia  it is native to Chile and Southern Argentia where the local Spanish name is "murta", and the Mapuche Native American name is "Uñi" or "Uñiberry". 

This is a nice enough looking shrub that grows really nice tasting fruit.  I have read that they were the favorite fruit of England's Queen Victoria.  Perhaps she actually liked them, or perhaps she liked having something that at the time would undoubtedly have been rare and impossible for most people to buy and therefore extremely prestigious, or perhaps a little of each.

I don't think Chilean guava love blazing heat, so I try to grow them in partial shade.  They take frost, but it sometimes damages the new growth, so I try to grow them near a wall where they experience slightly less severe frosts.  Their growth rate is not overly fast and they are evergreen.

Unfortunately I don't think I have quite worked out its preferred growing conditions.  I grow mine in a pot and each year it grows larger and flowers like crazy but I never get huge numbers of ripe fruits.

At the start of the season it is absolutely covered in unopened flowers.  They normally stay like this for so long I begin to wonder if it has flowered but I missed it and they started to turn to berries.  Then they eventually open and I remember that the unopened flowers stay on the shrub for a long time.

Chilean guava unopened flower buds


After what seems like forever, the flowers begin to open.  There are usually hundreds upon hundreds of flowers, almost too many to believe, and they open successively over a very long time.

The flowers are white or light pink and rather pretty.  Oddly enough I have never seen any pollinating insect on them.  I have tried hand pollinating and it has not made a noticeable difference to fruit set.  Over the next few weeks the shrub is incredibly pretty with all of its flowers.

Chilean guava flowers starting to open





Soon enough the petals drop, and each flower begins to turn into a little fruit.  At this stage I look at the many hundreds of fruits and start to expect a massive harvest.  Each branch is loaded down with dozens of tiny unripe fruits.


Chilean guava berries starting to form

Then for some as yet unknown reason, many of the immature fruits begin to abort.  They do this at different stages, some are far more developed than others.  There are literally hundreds of fruits dropping off each day for a few weeks.  I really don't understand why.

If this were due to lack of pollination they should have aborted earlier.  Perhaps the soil isn't right, maybe they need more water, or frost or heat or wind gets them.  Hopefully I work out how to stop this as I would love to pick thousands of these fruit from each small shrub.

Chilean guava covered in unripe fruits

Tiny fruits starting to abort



Eventually a few of the fruits ripen after they reach pea size.  I don't think I have taken any pictures of the ripe fruit as they are usually eaten pretty fast.  It would be nice if there was some commercial grower of these as they taste nice and I am sure there would be a market for them.

I am bad a describing taste.  To me they taste really good, a bit like strawberry crossed with a pine tree.  That sounds dreadful.  Perhaps someone else would be better at describing the taste than I am!  Even though my description is not flattering they really do taste good.  They smell great, similar to some tropical fruit mixed with pine tree.  I really don't think I am doing this justice.

The texture of the flesh is like a firm slightly dry banana.  Again this sounds bad, but it is really very nice.  I don't think I am all that good at describing this kind of thing.  I am better skilled at growing/breeding/eating things than I am at describing them.

The leaves smell like spices when crushed.  I tried eating one once and was not impressed with the taste or the texture as they were very tough.  I grow them for the fruits, and for the flowers, I don't even know if the leaves are toxic so I don't intend to eat the leaves again.

Over the season we sometimes get hail and crazy wind, invariably it breaks of a few small branches.  I try to use these to grow a few new plants.  I am told that Chilean guava is simple to grow from cuttings, for me they sometimes take a few weeks and other times take a few months to grow roots.

If I have any spare cutting grown plants that have strong roots and are actively I sell them through my for sale page.  If you are interested have a look.  I don't take pre-orders because I can't guarantee how long it will take for them to root.

No comments:

Post a Comment