Friday 12 June 2020

Giant Edible Dandelions

It is no secret that I like dandelions (Taraxacum officinale).  I honestly believe people should grow more dandelions.  I think they probably have more uses than just about any other temperate permaculture crop.

Dandelions take no real effort to grow outside of arid or semi arid zones or polar zones, they are simple to grow organically, they are perennial, they are forgiving of a wide range of conditions, the leaves are edible and more nutritious than almost every other vegetable, the roots are edible and nutritious, the roots can be made into a delightful coffee or tea, the flowers are edible and nutritious, dandelions flower most of the year to feed and attract a wide range of beneficial insects, native birds are attracted to their seeds, poultry and other livestock adore eating the leaves, they are great companion plants for a wide range of vegetables and fruits, the tap root can be very deep, they make excellent compost, and as a real bonus dandelions look very pretty.
Organic massive dandelions
Dandelion leaves for comparison - mine at the top, regular ones lower
I have seen people sell dandelion seeds and plants, and often wondered why.  Usually they are selling the same unimproved plants that you can find as roadside weeds, the same ones people try to spray out of their lawns.  These are edible and very useful, but tend to grow into small plants.

Dandelions are incredibly useful and far more nutritious than almost any other vegetable, so I decided to see if I could improve dandelions.  If dandelions were larger, more productive, and more vigorous they would be more useful as vegetables and more useful as stock or poultry feed.
Dandelion flowers are pretty

Dandelion breeding is strangely difficult as they usually tend to display apomixis. This means that cross pollination does not often work.  Each flower is very difficult to pollinate and often sets seed without any fertilisation.  I can't tell if cross pollination worked unless I grow out the seedlings fora long time.  There were a few dandelion breeding programs decades ago, so I read a few old papers and got a few ideas how to increase cross pollination success.

Dandelions tend to grow different depending on the environmental conditions.  When grown in the lawn and mown regularly they tend to produce shorter plants, when grown in long grass they tend to be more elongated.  Dandelions are perennials that also tend to be different sized plants at different times of the year.  All of this makes breeding improved strains far more difficult than I would have liked.

After a bit of work it appears that I did improve dandelions.  They grew larger, more vigorous, and more useful that the regular ones that can be found in the lawn.  My plants can grow huge if treated well.
Massive edible dandelion plant
Regular dandelion leaves often range in length from 10cm to about 25cm, sometimes a bit longer under the right conditions.  If they are to be eaten as vegetables this is a bit too small and you would need to grow a lot of plants to make a meal.

My dandelion leaves reach well over 50cm in length.  This makes them far more useful as leaf vegetables.  The roots grow very thick and long, which makes them far more useful.  Every part of these plants grows pretty big.  One single plant can be massive.

My kids were joking that these plants are so big they should not be called "Dandelions", instead they should  be called "DaddyLions".  I am not sure how I feel about that...
The flowers and seed heads are usually large and fat

My dandelion leaves grow huge

Often dandelion seedlings are exact clones of the maternal parent.  So while mine open pollinate, and there are plenty of wild type plants around that could act as pollen donors, there is a really high chance that each of the seedlings will grow true to type.  If not, then the seedlings should still be large as they would carry 50% genetics from the giant parent.

I now sell packets of dandelion seeds through my for sale page.  They have been grown organically and are open pollinated.  Growing conditions do have a large role on dandelion phenotype expression, so to get large plants they need good soil, full sun, and regular water.  Second year plants grow far larger than first year plants.

4 comments:

  1. My relationship to dandelions has been as a gardener who digs them out of the lawn with a tool I specifically call my "dandelion digger. " Thank you for opening my mind to how useful they can be as a food and for sharing your fascinating work on hybridizing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,

      I like dandelions. Many gardeners and people with perfect lawns must hate that I not only allow dandelion to grow but I actively cultivate them and try to breed improved ones.

      I was surprised how difficult it was to do any breeding with dandelions, but the results were pretty impressive. Being mid winter my giant plant is not as large and is starting to look a little ratty, but it is still far larger and more impressive than any of the others I have growing.

      I have a few vegetables that I am growing that I find too small, I must try to work with them and see if they can increase in size. Quite often the hardest part of a breeding project is finding diverse genetic stock to begin with.

      Delete
  2. Can you recommend any way to cook/eat dandelions? I made some syrup out of the flowers of the wild ones in the garden this summer, which was delicately floral, but I found the leaves too bitter to eat raw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toria,

      I would love to learn more about your syrup recipe. I have heard about syrup but never made it.

      The leaves seem to taste less bitter before they flower. Once they flower they seem to be more bitter.

      There are also a few different Taraxacum species that have pink or white flowers, I am told they aren't as bitter as regular dandelions. I am trying to track one down to grow but they are very expensive.

      Delete