Sunday 8 November 2020

Growing Sphagnum Moss

Sphagnum moss (one of 380 or so species of Sphagnum) is often used to grow carnivorous plants, or to pack around fragile plants in postage, and a bunch of other uses.  It is expensive to buy dead sphagnum moss, and difficult to find for sale live.  

Years ago I got a strand of it while on a field trip with university.  I grew it in a little glass cup on my window sill along with pygmy Drosera that I also collected on the same trip.  It grew well for a few years, and looked amazing, I eventually lost in moving house.  

Strangely enough I haven't seen live sphagnum moss since then.

A while ago a very generous person posted me some plants, and wrapped the carnivorous plants in live sphagnum moss.  I figured it would be a waste to let the sphagnum moss die, so I wanted to grow it.  

I don't know the best way to grow this, so figured I would try a few different methods. 

Sphagnum moss - growing well and ready to divide
I had some dry sphagnum moss in a packet, so I soaked that in rain water.  I put that in the bottom of a few empty punnets as the substrate, and placed the live sphagnum moss on top.  

I also put a damp little peat moss in an empty punnet, and 'planted' some live sphagnum moss on top.  All of these punnets I put in a tray with a little rain water, much like how I water carnivorous plants.

So far both methods appear to be working and the sphagnum moss is growing. 

I have given them part sun.  From memory full sun makes it grow slowly, but I may be wrong.  Some species are ok with frost and can be frozen solid, I think others may die off if hit by frost.  I am not sure what species this is, so I will protect most in winter and probably leave a little unprotected to see how it copes.

I also put a little live sphagnum moss on top of pots of peat moss that I am growing various carnivorous plant in, hopefully it grows well in there as it looks nice.

I don't know how well this will go longer term, but for now it is growing well for me.  I hope to find where is best in my yard to grow sphagnum moss, and how to grow sphagnum moss, and then once I have enough I plan to use it for carnivorous plants. 

Sphagnum moss - one live strand

Sphagnum moss - one live strand did some growing!
If you know how to grow sphagnum moss, and if you have ever grown sphagnum moss successfully over a longer time period, I would love to hear how you do it.  Trial and error is all well and good, but if I can learn from someone else that is even better.

2 comments:

  1. I have been growing sphagnum very successfully for years now, and seeing pictures of it in habitat I can now tell pretty well what it needs. The main factor like most carnivores is low nutrients, low salt levels, low pH and consistent moisture. Like a lot of CPs it doesnt like to be soggy- In habitat sphagnum often grows where water is trickling past it in a shallow sheet. I grew it well on the floor of a humid greenhouse with plastic flooring that was uneven, so 1-2 cm of water would pool here and there, but the excess would drain away. I now grow it outdoors in a raised bench which can only fill to 1-2 cm deep at most. I let the water level drop to zero between waterings. The bench overflows several times each year as well during rainy spells, which is important for flushing excess salts/minerals from the system. During dry spells the surface of the moss becomes crispy and brown, but greens up again instantly when rain returns. Like most plants sphagnum is a lot tougher than people realise as long as its key requirements are met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sphagnum moss: nature's water retention superhero!

    ReplyDelete