Sunday 23 October 2022

Variegated tiger fern 6 month growth

Around six months ago I got a variegated tiger fern (Nephrolepis exaltata 'Tiger fern').  This is a variegated form of Boston fern.  There aren't many types of variegated fern around, but there is something about variegated ferns that I really like.  

My tiger fern was a good looking little fern, and when it arrived was in the tiniest pot ever.  I repot the thing the day that I got it and it has been in the same pot ever since.  

The picture below if of my tiger fern after it had grown and survived winter living outside in a sheltered position.  

Tiger fern after surviving winter

I repotted my little fern immediately and it has been growing in its new pot ever since.  The picture below was just after repotting, and the picture below that is far more recent.  

As you can see, my variegated tiger fern grew quite a lot in the months that I have had it.  I am happy to say that these ferns are pretty easy to grow.

Tiger fern just after being repotted
The same fern, same pot, six months later 

I particularly like the foliage of these variegated ferns.  Each frond looks different, some are dark green, others are variegated to different amounts, and others are lighter green.  They are an easy to grow fern that is quick to grow and relatively hardy.  They aren't overly fussy about soil type, are able to cope with drier soil than many ferns, and appear to tolerate a wide range of temperatures.

One fun thing about these ferns is that they divide throughout their growing season.  My original fern looked strong, then just before winter I divided it because I was not sure how well it would survive my winter and wanted to ensure that at least one would survive.  I kept the larger plant outside in a spot that was protected from frosts, and I put the baby fern in my greenhouse.  

While dividing heading into winter is not great, I figured it the outside fern died I could restart from the baby.  I also wanted to learn if they could survive outside in my climate if somewhat sheltered from the harshest of frosts.

The plant that was kept outside got some damage from the cold, but looks healthy overall.  Now that warmer weather is here it should start to grow again.  That is great to know because it means I don't have to worry too much about these things over winter.

The plant in the unheated greenhouse was not damaged by the cold.  It is still looking really nice.  This plant also didn't grow very much as it was too cold.  Now that the weather is milder it should grow fast.

Baby tiger fern in greenhouse

As you can probably see in the photos, the baby tiger fern is already a bit larger than the original fern was when I got it.  This little fern looks like it should be ready to divide once the weather warms.  I probably won't divide it yet as I would prefer that it fills out the pot I have it growing in.  

The larger fern sustained a little damage over winter as it was growing outside under shelter.  It was out of the frost, but the temperature was slightly below freezing and it was blasted with icy winds on and off throughout winter.  It is pretty hardy and should bounce back soon enough.  

I could either divide this larger tiger fern into several small ferns, or I could allow it to fill out its pot.  I'm thinking of breaking off one division, and allowing the rest to fill out its pot.  
Variegated tiger fern

These things grow pretty fast and look great when they are completely filling out their pot.  They don't look as amazing when they are a new tiny division with only a few fronds, but I think they are still pretty cute at that stage.  

Variegated Boston ferns also grow pretty fast once winter is over, so they don't stay looking tiny for too long.

Baby maidenhair ferns

As well as my tiger ferns I also grow a bunch of maiden hair ferns and a few other ferns including some baby tree ferns.  

My little maidenhair ferns were spore grown, and some are native species.  I like native maidenhair ferns as they tend to grow differently to the exotic species.  Some of these little ones are spreading by rhizomes and a few are even popping out of their pot's drainage hole.  My exotic maiden hair ferns never grow like that for me.

My oldest maidenhair fern looking shabby at the end of winter

This bird nest fern is over 20 years old

Most ferns are perennial and can live for many many years if treated well.  I got my oldest maidenhair fern in 2016, and I got my oldest birds nest fern back in 2001.  While they look a little shabby at the end of winter and each have a little damage to their fronds from the cold and wind, both are still growing well and should look great in a month or two after they recover.  Ferns are a long term investment!

If you would like one of my little ferns (my older ferns are not for sale), including spore grown native maidenhair ferns, they will be listed on my for sale page.  If they are not listed there feel free to contact me as I may have some for sale but not large numbers of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment