Sunday 1 November 2020

Black raspberry seedlings and wild strawberries

In September 2019 someone kindly posted me some seeds.  They were seeds of some strawberries (most likely Fragaria virginiana) that had been collected from the wild, some black raspberries (Rubus occidentalis), and saskatoon.

I have eaten wild strawberries in the Arctic many years ago.  These are a different species to the woodland strawberry.  The berries were about the size of my little finger nail, some were pointy, some were round, and they tasted better than anything I have ever eaten.  I grow a few different strawberries that taste incredible, but none of them can compare the the ones I ate in the arctic.  So I hoped that these wild collected strawberries would come close in terms of taste. 

Raspberry are notoriously difficult to germinate.  They do far better after scarification and cold wet stratification.  Both strawberry and saskatoon germinate better after stratification.  I put the raspberry seeds through several different types of acid scarification, put all the seeds on damp paper towel in zip lock bags, labelled everything, and put them in the fridge for a few weeks of cold wet stratification.

Then, life knocked me down pretty badly, and I forgot about my seeds.  In September 2020 I remembered about my seeds in the fridge.  The saskatoon seeds had all germinated and died, as had a small number of strawberry seeds.  The rest of the seeds did nothing, presumably after spending a year in the fridge on damp paper they were all dead.  None of the raspberry seed had germinated.  I figured they were all dead, I figured it was a lost cause.

There was a small chance one or two may have survived, so I planted them.  I had low hopes of anything happening after so long, so I planted them all together, strawberry and raspberry in the same pot.  Nothing labelled.  There was no real point, the chances of even a single strawberry seed germinating was very low.

Strawberry seedlings and Black raspberry seedlings

Then the most incredible thing happened, some seeds germinated.  Then a lot more germinated.  Nothing was labelled or separate, but a good number germinated.  Most were probably strawberry seedlings, which I was very excited about.

As they grew their first leaves some plants looked different, I wondered if they were the black raspberry.

As the seedlings got larger more seeds germinated, then more, then a few weeks later even more germinated.  Other than the saskatoon (which all germinated and died in the fridge) it looks like almost all of the seeds have germinated.  This was completely unexpected, I am really glad I had not thrown the seeds away!  

I now have a small number of black raspberry seedlings, and a good number of wild collected strawberries.  Some of the strawberries are growing runners at less than two months old!

My plants are larger than the photo above.  It is still just a pot of mixed seedlings.  I am waiting for the last of the seedlings that are still tiny to grow a bit larger before I try to separate anything.  I would hate to lose them at this stage.

If all goes well from here I should get to taste the wild strawberries this summer, and it will likely be another year or so before the black raspberries are old enough to fruit.  This is very exciting!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting to see some deeper diversity in these genera in circulation. Were you hopeful that the saskatoons would be adapted to your conditions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shane,

      I am told the seeds were all originally collected in the wild from plants that apparently produced good tasting berries. They should carry a diversity of genes. I hope at least some of these survive here. The seeds were collected in rather cold places and summer may be too harsh here. Or they may do fine, only time will tell.

      Some of the strawberries are already producing runners. Hopefully they flower and fruit young so I can collect seeds as insurance against losing the plants.

      The black raspberries are still pretty small, but they are obviously raspberries. I am told they grow like blackberries, they tip layer instead of sending up canes. A large part of me wants to grow them out and try to cross with red raspberry, and yellow raspberry (same species). Unfortunately I am not sure if I have the space to grow out such things, so for now I must be content to just try and grow the black raspberries. It is still pretty exciting.

      If all goes well it will be a while until I have enough to share, but if any of these plants survive and divide I will send you some if you would like.

      Unfortunately all of the saskatoon seeds sprouted and died in the fridge. I love saskatoon, but honestly have no idea if they can survive here. I feel bad that I wasted my opportunity. Hopefully one day someone sends me some more seeds and I can give them another try!

      Delete
    2. Do you have enough black raspberry plants to share some?

      Delete