Sunday 16 August 2020

Dwarf Iris (Iris reticulata) 'Harmony'

Dwarf iris (Iris reticulata) are lovely little spring flowering bulbs.  It is late winter here, but winter has been so mild this year that some plants are flowering out of season and other plants never went dormant at all.  I have never seen a winter like this before.  My dwarf iris are just starting to flower.

The pictures below are of Iris reticulata 'Harmony'.  Harmony is meant to be the best blue dwarf iris.  It is nice, but is it more purple than blue?

I enjoy plant breeding and growing things from seed.  Dwarf iris are simple to grow from seed, they just take a while until they are large enough to flower.  Regardless of its parentage, every seed will grow into a unique plant.

I am hoping to save some seed from the flowers below and grow out some interesting new dwarf iris.  None of the seeds will produce 'harmony', some may look very similar, others may look different, but each should be nice.  Next year I wouldn't mind getting a few different colours and crossing them like crazy in the hope of increasing my chances of growing a really nice new variety.

Only time will tell if I can grow anything worth keeping.

Iris reticulata 'Harmony'
 






No comments:

Post a Comment