Saturday 22 August 2020

Hot & Spicy oregano

I have grown oregano on an off for years. They are a common and readily available herb, so every time I move hose I leave it behind and get another. Most of the time I grow unnamed varieties, some claim to be ‘Greek’, others claim to be ‘Italian’, while some have been far better than others, none are ever bad.

No oregano I had grown has ever really impressed me, their leaves are too small, the plants are not compact enough, the taste is not strong enough, some don't cope with winter, and so on. So I started to consider breeding an improved oregano. I enjoy breeding improved things, and my success rate in breeding improved varieties of vegetables is reasonably high, so I gave it a go. I got a few oregano varieties, planted them very close together, allowed insects to open pollinate them, and planted lots of seed.

Right from cotyledon stage the seedlings displayed a wide array of diversity. I really liked some and wanted to see how they performed, most were grown out for a while before being culled, while others were culled really early. I knew what I wanted, I had heaps of seedlings, so I culled hard.

One seedling was rather unique and I think it had a lot of potential. Instead of growing leaves in pairs along the stem it grows leaves in sets of three. This looked interesting, and provided more leaf than the others. It got larger than the others pretty quickly. I was really excited to see what this plant would become.

Then last summer all of my oregano seedlings died.

Not long after I started my quest for improved oregano I heard of a variety called 'hot and spicy oregano'. This variety was said to have a much larger leaf than regular oregano, it was meant to grow more leaves and be more vigorous than other varieties, and it was meant to have a bolder and more impressive taste that almost borders on mild heat.

I started looking for "hot and spicy" oregano, several places stocked but they were either out of stock or they were on the other side of the country, and none would post.

I eventually found a hot and spicy oregano plant and bought it. While the plant was only tiny it had a lot of rather large leaves. I tasted a leaf and was underwhelmed, it was neither hot nor spicy. I wasn’t even sure I could taste oregano at all. I crushed a leaf and the smell was only noticeable if I used my imagination. I assumed the plant had been pampered too much or was stressed and it may taste better after I had grown it for a while, but I didn’t like my chances. I planted it in the garden and watered it well.
Hot and Spicy Oregano

This plant grew fast, it continued to grow reasonably large leaves, and due to its short internodes there were plenty of leaves per stem. If nothing else these traits could be useful in breeding something better. Then I crushed and smelled a leaf, the scent was bold and imposing, this was rather impressive. I tasted a tiny leaf, and it was so spicy that it almost felt like mild heat.

Hot and Spicy oregano is what oregano should taste like.

I have started to use hot and spicy oregano in meals, it is certainly a keeper. If you prefer bold taste then this is for you, if you prefer mild you simply use less.

I may not bother to keep trying to breed improved oregano as this one is great. If I do continue to breed an improved oregano I would like to use this as one of the parents as it has a lot of desirable traits. The leaves of hot & spicy oregano are pretty large for oregano, it produces a lot of leaves, and the plant is pretty compact, so the only improvement I can think of is if the leaves were even larger or if it produced more stems.

My plant has grown a lot since the photo above, it has since flowered, and died back a bit over winter, and started to grow larger again. The flowers attracted honey bees and a host of other beneficial insects.  I collected some seed and am attempting to grow it out.  Over winter it dies back somewhat as oregano does in my climate, but kept a surprising amount of leaves.I really need to take another photo, but I keep forgetting and the weather is not going to allow such things today.

I will likely sell hot and spicy oregano plants when I have enough to spare.  When I do they will be listed on my for sale page along with perennial vegetables, heirloom vegetable seeds, edible herbs etc.

2 comments:

  1. I think this sounds worth a try when you have some for sale! Damien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried Syrian Oregano (Originatum maru)? THAT'S so potent a whole pizza takes only one leaf (it's what used in a lot of Zataar mixes)

    ReplyDelete