Thursday 11 March 2021

Solanum acroscopicum - wild potato relative

I have a few potatoes grown from true potato seed.  Tetraploid potatoes are ok, I really like some of my diploids because their taste is vastly superior to any tetraploid potato I have ever tasted and their colouration can be spectacular.

As well as domestic potatoes, I have a few wild relatives of potatoes, or crosses of domestic x wild potatoes.  Being wild plants they tend not to have the highest yields, but they do contain a lot of genes that are not found in domestic potatoes, so hold potential for breeding something spectacular.  Some species can be crossed with domestic potatoes, others cannot.

One wild potato that I am particularly fond of is Solanum acroscopicum.  I am not sure why, there is just something about this species that I like.

I grew some from seed planted August/September last year, and they started flowering mid February.  I have a few domestic diploids flowering near it, but this plant is reluctant to set seed for now.  Hopefully conditions are just right and it produces seed for me one day.  

The flowers tend to be large, unfortunately I didn't think to take any photos until most had dropped off and only the tired looking flowers were left.

Solanum acroscopicum




The tubers produced by my S acroscopicum are smallish, kind of round, have lovely smooth skin, white skin and white flesh.  It has short stolons so the potatoes form nice and close to the plant.  It has a short dormancy, so is not well suited to my winters, but hopefully I work out a system to keep it going.  This certainly isn't the only plant I grow that is not suited to my climate.

The taste is not particularly impressive, it tastes a little better than a store bought potato but really nothing spectacular.  I am told that (unlike modern domestic potatoes) you can eat partly green tubers safely, but haven't tried that myself.  The yield is not huge by any standards.  Like any seed grown potato, first year plants produce smaller yields and subsequent year plants produce larger yields.

Nothing really stands out as being spectacular.  Yet for some reason, I really like these little guys.

The leaves are noticeably different from domestic potato leaves, they are a bit more pointy shaped and are held more upright.  The flowers are usually pretty and often very large, probably not as pretty as the flowers on some of my diploids, and so far it has produced less flowers than my diploids, but they are still rather nice.  I really need to take a photo of the nicer looking flowers.

When grown from seed the plants show a lot of vigour early on, and the seedlings quickly surpassed my other seed grown potatoes.  Once the first year seedlings get more established the acroscopicum survives but didn't really take off.  I tried taking cuttings, but forgot about them and they died.

Solanum acroscopicum at top, tetraploid potato in middle, diploid potatoes lower left

Seedling potatoes and other seedlings

Seedling S acroscopicum on left is stout and sending out stolons, seedling tetraploid potato on right is spindly and weak

At this stage I don't really have any plans for my acroscopicum.  If any survive winter, next year I should try to cross with with various domestic potatoes to see what they can produce. 

I do have some micro tubers that I am willing to trade if someone has another potato that is interesting, or I sell tubers through my for sale page after I harvest them.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you having some success with this new species. Apparently it can cross with diploids as well which I will have to try one day.

    ReplyDelete