Thursday 1 September 2022

Drosera burmannii

Drosera burmannii is a small annual sundew that is native to warmer parts of Australia.   

This species has snap tentacles, which are longer tentacles on the edge of the leaf which flick prey into the sticky tentacles further in the leaf.  These are meant to be the second fastest snap tentacles of any species, and they can move very fast.

Ever since I saw a picture of these I wanted to grow them.  I think they look really cute, plus I found the concept of snap tentacles to be alluring.  They produce a lot of seed and I am told they are so prolific at self seeding that they can become weeds in carnivorous plant collections.  

Tropical sundew flowering
Drosera burmannii sending up a flower stalk

One day I bought some seeds of Drosera burmannii.  Like all sundew seeds, they were tiny.  

I grew the seeds, the seedlings looked great.  Then winter came and the seedlings all died.  Apparently this species does not handle cold weather.  Not just frost, but low temperatures above freezing made them die.

The following spring some more seeds in the same pot germinated.  By this time I had planted some tiny venus flytrap offsets in that pot.

This time my plants flowered and produced seed.

Drosera burmannii and venus flytraps

The snap tentacles really can move fast.  They do not have dew, instead when triggered they flick up pretty fast and throw prey into the sticky tentacles.

I have a little trouble growing these.  If they get too hot they die, if they get too cold they die.  They are only annuals so if you wait long enough they die.  I have no idea if I could grown them from cuttings, but assume the cuttings would die from cold before maturing.

D burmanii mature plants

That being said, I really like Drosera burmanii.  They are small and cute, but not too small.  The leaves are nice and round, but not too round.    

Drosera burmannii size
D burmannii full size plant

Hopefully one day I work out how to grow these properly and I can have a lot more of them.  Until then I will do my best and hope that they set seed for the following year.

In summer I should have a few extra plants available for swap or sale.  I am not keen on posting these just yet, so would be limited to people who can pick up from the Canberra region.  If I do have any extra plants they will be listed on my for sale page.

Drosera burmanii and venus flytraps

No comments:

Post a Comment