Friday 30 September 2022

Drosera peltata complex

There is a native tuberous sundew that grows naturally in my area, I am entirely certain but think they are Drosera peltata.  Peltata are said to be one of the easier species of tuberous drosera to grow.  

They are so local that there is a population of them less than 50 metres from my house!  

I have grown this species years ago, but only ever got 3 or 4 years before they all died.  

Back then I grew some from seeds, some from tubers, and always had similar results.  They did well for a few years, and then my entire collection died out.  I figured growing them long term was beyond my ability.

As these grow locally I figure that the climate here is good for them and decided to give growing them another try.  Hopefully this time I get more than a few short years out of them.

Drosera peltata starting to flower

These used to all be lumped in to species Drosera peltata.  Now this has been broken into several very similar looking species, all within the peltata complex.  I am not entirely convinced that these are distinct species, or if they are subspecies, or if they are merely local variants of the same species, but it really doesn't matter.

These sundews are perennials, but are only above ground for a few months each year.  They have an active growing phase over winter/spring, this is where they flower and set seed, then they die back to tubers over summer.  

It is over summer that the tubers must be kept a lot more dry, otherwise they will rot.

They can pe propagated by seed and the tubers tend to divide a little.  I have not tried to grow them using cuttings so have no idea how difficult that would be. 

Foreground D peltata, other carnivorous plants in background


I am by no means an expert at growing tuberous sundews.  I have grown this species before using either peatmoss or the poor soil that they were originally growing in.  I don't think either of these are ideal mixes for growing them in pots.

This time I am growing them in peatmoss mixed with sand.  There is more sand than peatmoss in this mix.  I hope that this is a better mix for growing them.  

This year I am growing them in a plastic cup with a few holes punched in the base because I only had short pots at the time.  Next year I plan to use a taller plant pot so the tubers can bury themselves deeply.

I have them in a tray of water that is very shallow.  'Tray' is probably a misleading term, I cut off the bottom of a milk bottle and am using that as their water tray.  I plan to let this dry out completely as summer approaches.

Tuberous sundews

Tuberous Drosera peltata

Drosera peltata are not the most effective hunters of the sundew world.  They tend to catch a few ants and moths and other little things.  I still find them interesting and hope that they grow for me.  

If they perform well for me I have a few people who I plan to send a few tubers to let them have a try at growing them.  Hopefully between us we can work out how to successfully grow these fascinating native carnivorous plants. 


3 comments:

  1. I wonder if they have special relationships with fungi or other plants that we don't understand or are not documented? Did you try inoculating the soil with soil from the local site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that many species of tuberous sundews are difficult to grow in cultivation. I had also started to wonder if there was a mycohhrizal interaction or something going on that was causing this. I have not been able to find any research over this.

      While I would love to collect a few of these plants locally, I am not allowed to touch the ones growing near my house as they are on Crown Land. There are a number of rare plants out there so it is best left undisturbed. After your comment I am starting to wonder if I could collect a tiny amount of soil from near them and inoculate my plants to see if there is any benefit. Surely taking a spoonful of soil from the paddock would not be too destructive to the ecology.

      Delete
    2. While I would agree that collecting more than a tiny percentage of seed would be too much, I think getting a bit of soil (carefully and unobtrusively) might give you a chance to learn some valuable cultivation information that can then be shared. I believe we absolutely need growers in order to effectively steward some of our more diminutive native species.

      Delete