Saturday 23 March 2024

Super leuco - seed grown pitcher plants

A few years ago, a grower friend sent me some seeds as a surprise (thanks Beauze).  There were some really amazing seeds in there.  I was delighted.  

Among the packets of seeds were seed of a pitcher plant called Sarracenia leucophylla - Super Leuco.  I love the look of S leucophylla, and had always wanted to grow one.  

I was very excited to grow seeds of a plant that was meant to be be bigger and better than regular ones.  So far they have not disappointed me!  

Super Leuco

Another pitcher

I am not good at growing Sarracenia for some reason.  I am growing several other species and I seem to face the same problem with them all. 

Pitcher plants are said to be very easy to grow, and are meant to survive a lot of neglect.  When I grow them from seed they all seem to do well the first year, then subsequent years some thrive while others growing next to them under the same conditions die.  

I don't know what I am doing wrong.  It isn't my climate, there is a guy about 40 minute drive from here with the largest private collection of pitcher plants that I have ever seen.  The climate there is pretty similar to here, so I know they can grow well in this area.  

Some have red veins

I am happy to say some of my super leuco are are getting big and look healthy.  I am told that their autumn pitchers are always the best looking, so far that is proving to be true.  These things look spectacular.  

The seed grown plants are displaying a little genetic diversity, which is a good thing.  They are all lovely, some have green veins, others have more red veins, all are showing good amounts of white and nice shape pitchers.




Pitcher plants are great, once they grow larger they tend to catch a lots of insects.  By 'a lot' I mean hundreds, if not thousands, of insects can be caught in each pitcher, and the plant has several pitchers.  I find sundews catch a lot of the smaller insects on each leaf, and pitcher plants catch a lot of the larger insects, so it is good to have both of these plants catching insects of all sizes.  

I wish I was better at growing pitcher plants, but for now I will be happy that I have a few lovely looking plants that are growing larger each year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment