Friday 15 March 2024

Liverworts

I like liverworts, they are interesting little plants.  They don't have a significant economic importance, and they are small, so mostly they go unnoticed.  Even though they are small, they have an interesting lifecycle, and there is something about them that I like the look of.  

Thallose liverworts gametophyte with gemmae cups

When I was a child liverworts used to grow in the valley near the river.  They didn't thrive, but it was the only place I had ever seen them and I was intrigued.  I took one to school in a jar and asked my teacher what it was, they said it was fungus or moss, and made me throw it out.  

Needless to say, my teacher was wrong.  When I went to university I studied a lot of botany, and I learned a lot about liverworts.  Liverworts are not fungus, and they are not moss.

A liverwort is a small flowerless, spore-producing plant.  Its spores are produced in little capsules.  They also produce gemmae, which are like tiny cuttings which it uses to make little clones itself.  What fun.  

According to the National Botanical Garden, the English word "wort" means "small plant".  This is used in names such as Pennywort and Bladderwort.  The term liverwort originated from early herbalists who thought that one of the liverworts had some resemblance to a liver - and some use as medicine for liver ailments.  Hence the word liverwort is a "liver-like small plant".  

Liverworts multiplying

For a few years I grew some liverworts in a tiny terrarium that I made.  It was a glass teacup that had some sphagnum moss, a few sundews, a tiny fern, and some liverworts.  This looked great, it lasted a few years until I eventually gave it away.  In hind sight, the fern would have eventually grown too large, but at the time it looked incredible.  

A few years ago I noticed a liverwort growing in my lawn.  I hadn't seen any liverworts in some time.  I carefully cut it in half and dug up one half, put it in a cup of soil, and intended to look after it.  I did not look after it well, it dried out and died.  Strangely, I still feel bad about that.  

I cut it in half and left half where it was.  When I would water the vegetable garden I would also water the other half of the liverwort in the lawn.  Needless to say, the part I did not dig up multiplied nicely.  


These are thallose liverworts, while I am far from being an expert I believe it to be a crescent-cup liverwort (Lunularia cruciata).  This is a common liverwort species, its native range is unclear as it is now found many places across the globe.  

Since finding them I kept watering the liverworts, and they have kept multiplying.  I largely try to remove competition from vascular plants, and the liverworts thank me by expanding more.  

Liverworts, moss, and chickweed

These liverworts are somewhat frost sensitive.  That being said, these are growing outside.  They are in a frost shadow, they do get a little frost but nothing too harsh.

Sooner or later something will happen and this patch will die.  Perhaps a drought, perhaps they will be over run with grass, perhaps it will be a mystery and they will be gone for no apparent reason.  I will miss them when that happens.  Between now and then I am going to enjoy them.  

I recently put one in a pot of soil, hopefully this grows well and can start a new population when I do eventually lose my little liverwort patch.  Perhaps I should make a terrarium in a jar or something and include a liverwort.  Liverworts look so nice in terrariums, and unlike most plants they survive well in terrariums long term and don't grow too large.  


Liverworts do their thing in nature while often going unnoticed.  They also look incredible in terrariums.  They are very useful in science classes when teaching about botany and gemmae and flowerless plants etc.  Very few places sell liverworts online other than a few terrarium supply shops, and a few science supplies companies.

I sell perennial vegetables, heirloom vegetable seeds, and a few other things through my for sale page.  At this stage I don't sell liverworts.   


No comments:

Post a Comment