Tuesday 4 October 2022

Growing Square Lemons at Home

Question: What happens when you put a round lemon (or pumpkin, or apple, or tomato etc) in a square plastic mould?  
Answer: the fruit grows and is slowly squished to conform to the shape of the mould.  

Square lemon, I grew this!

When talking about the hollow, shaped receptacle I don't know if it is spelled 'mould' or 'mold'.  I have a strong feeling it depends on which country you are from.  I'm too lazy to google it, I think I will just use both spellings and wait until some irate person corrects me, and then fix it up, or not bother and just leave it as is because that is far simpler.  Hmmm.  

Last year I bought some plastic fruit moulds.  I got some square ones, and some heart shaped ones.  I could hardly wait to use them.

I had intended on putting these fruit shaping molds on some apples and Asian pears, but at that time of year the apples and pears were too large to fit into the moulds.  

As my apples and pears were not the right size I put one on a lemon to have a little bit of practice.  Or maybe I was just impatient?  Either way, I put a square one on a meyer lemon.

I wish I chose a larger lemon to turn square

There weren't many lemons at that time of year so I chose one of the few that was small enough and put the plastic fruit shaping mould on.  

The lemon grew, then the tree flowered a lot and started producing a lot more fruit.  I wish I had chosen of one the second set of lemons as they all grew larger, but I didn't.

The lemon grew, then when it stopped growing I removed it from the mould.  Unfortunately the lemon did not fully grow to the size of the mould.  

Square lemons

This lemon was a bit small so wasn't perfectly block shaped, still became reasonably square and had three very flat sides and one slightly rounded side, so I consider it a success.  

I am told that apples and nashi pears tend to perform a little better than lemons.

My apple trees are just breaking dormancy now and will blossom shortly.  Once the little apples are a bit bigger I plan to put a few moulds on them and see how well they take to being moulded.

This lemon has three flat sides, and one round side

I have read comments from people who have seen pictures of these plastic moulds and they usually talk about how this is a pest deterrent and mean that fruit can be grown organically.  Interestingly the people who make and sell the moulds never make this claim.

I grow everything organically.  When I saw pictures of this my first through was that pests could get in and be protected from predators.  I was also concerned that fungus and mildew might grow in the poorly ventilated plastic box.
Square lemon slices from the square lemon I grew
Lemon before being removed from the mould

Now I have grown square lemons I can confirm that pests can get in and are protected from predators.  That is not a big deal as I don't have huge numbers of pests here and my square lemon was not damaged by the slugs and earwigs living in the box.

I can also confirm, as evidenced in the photo above, that algae and things do grow in the box.  This year was particularly wet so more water than normal had gotten into the box and caused things to grow.  This did not damage the fruit as it was mostly growing on the plastic.

I like square lemons

If only I used a larger lemon, it would have fit in the box better and this would look pretty incredible!  

I can hardly wait to use the fruit molds again.  My apple and pear trees are flowering at the moment, so it won't be long before I get to try this on them.  My lemon tree normally flowers on and off throughout the year, so I will try to make some more cool shaped lemons.






I do have some extra fruit shaping moulds, a few heart shaped ones and a few square ones.  They click together.  I have included pictures of them below so you get an idea of how they work.

Given that these plastic fruit shaping molds are clear it would be simple enough to put a sticker on them and use sunlight to tattoo an apple like I did here.  That way you would end up with an apple that is blocky or heart shaped, also with the name of your child or a fun picture on it.  I can hardly wait to try to do that myself!!!

I am not sure how many times they can be used, presumably if you look after them and don't drop them on concrete they should last for many years.  The one I used certainly looks no worse for wear.

Love Heart fruit mould

Love Heart fruit mold

Square fruit mold

Square fruit mould

If you want to try a fruit shaping mould there are very places on the internet where you can buy them.  There seem to be a few places selling tiny ones for strawberries, or long ones for cucumbers, or even some larger watermelon size ones, but not many places are selling ones for apples and lemons.  

If you are interested in buying some online please be careful of their size and ensure that you are not getting a tiny one that is only useful for medium sized strawberries. 

You can buy them directly from the place I got them from.  Their price includes postage to any country.  Note: While you pay the same price for the fruit shaping molds I get a small commission if you buy directly from slingfisher using the above link. 

I considered selling some through my for sale page if I have extras for sale.  To be honest you may be better off buying them from my slingfisher link above as it would work out cheaper for you, plus I intend on using these on all the appropriate sized fruit in my yard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment