Monday, 21 September 2020

Daffodil Comparison of Varieties - which is best for you to grow

This year we grew a few different daffodils.  I really like them.  As last summer was extremely harsh not all of our daffodils flowered this year, but the ones that did flower were lovely, so I decided to take pictures of a few of them as a bit of a comparison.  
 
Below are pictures of some of the named daffodil varieties.
 
Marieke daffodils

Daffodil: Ice King 

Ice king produces large, double flowers that are white/yellow.  The stems are a bit thin and don't cope in the wind well if left in the garden.  These seem to divide slowly in my garden.

Ice King Daffodils
Ice King Daffodils

Daffodil: Replete

These produce relatively small double flowers, with apricot in the centre.  The colour changes and becomes more pink as the flower ages.  For me they are dividing well.

Replete Daffodil - white and orange
Replete Daffodil next to Marieke
Replete Daffodil and Marieke - side on
Replete Daffodil - turns a pinky/orange as it ages

Daffodil: White Ideal

I've always liked white daffodils.  These produce nice looking flowers that are a bit larger than King Alfred but have a nicer shape.  They are a crisp white.  

White Ideal Daffodil
White Ideal Daffodil
White Ideal and Marieke
White Ideal Daffodil next to Marieke
White Ideal and Marieke
White Ideal and Marieke

Daffodil: Marieke 

Marieke is the larger of the two, the smaller and less impressive 'King Alfred' is included as a comparison.  For me Marieke is a solid performer.  It produces large yellow blooms, with good shape and nice colour.  The stems are thick enough to hold up well in the wind, and they divide well for me.

Marieke Daffodil
Marieke Daffodil

Daffodil: Bell Song

I was told the cup of these would be pink.  They start out more orange, and as the flower ages it gets more pink.  By the end the cup is noticeably pink.  These are lovely delicate daffodils.

Bell Song Daffodil
Bell Song Daffodil
Bell Song Daffodils - they get slightly pink as they age

Mixed daffodils and tulips

I just included these photos because I think spring flowering bulbs are lovely.  

Various daffodils and tulips

There are a few places that sell these daffodil varieties so if you want some you should be able to find them if you look around a bit.  I only occasionally sell flower bulbs in season, and when I do they are only in very limited numbers.  When I sell any bulbs, they will be listed through my for sale page


No comments:

Post a Comment