Saturday 24 April 2021

Mystery fly

A while ago I looked into a bucket of water that was in my garden and found a fly.  It looks like no other fly I have ever seen.  I once studied entomology among other things, and I tend to notice insects.  

This fly was dead, so I pulled it out of the bucket and took some photos (as you do).

It looks similar to a hover fly, but with weird white stuff and shiny parts.  The underside is kind of green.  At first I thought perhaps it was a hover fly and the white stuff was a parasite or something stuck onto the fly.  After closer inspection it appears that the white stuff is just part of the fly.

If anyone knows what this is I would love to learn more.

Mystery fly
Green underneath the fly

Green underneath

Shiny back

4 comments:

  1. The white stuff looks to me like a parasitic fungus. There are many of them that infect insects and eventually kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks a bit like a phorid fly, but one that has swollen up from soaking in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.. that is interesting. I searched for "fluffy white fly" and found this.

    Entomophthora muscae

    It is a fungus and I think it looks like your fly had it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up some google images of Entomophthora muscae, and it does look very similar. I will do some reading, but I think you may have solved my mystery!

      Delete