Friday 2 April 2021

Two harvests of honey

This year we had one large harvest of liquid honey early in the season, I also cut out some honey comb, then things went awry.  Since then things have picked up a little.

After the first harvest I left the supers on and the bees started to fill them again, they drew out some frames to replace the comb I had taken.  

Last weekend I needed to remove a super and pack my hives down a little before winter, the only sensible way for me to do that was to remove the honey and get the bees to clean things up a little, so I got a few jars of honey out of one of the supers. 

Below are jars from the each of the two harvests.  Honey from the first harvest was light in colour and thinner, while honey from the second was far darker.  The darker honey tastes far nicer, it is much thicker, and smells really floral.

I find it incredible how different the two crops of honey are.  They both came from the same hive, with the same queen, in the same location  It makes perfect sense to be different as there were different things blooming at the time, but I still find it fascinating.


New honey on left, old honey on right


No comments:

Post a Comment