Saturday 17 April 2021

Maidenhair fern babies

I love maidenhair ferns, they are such graceful plants.  

I got a tiny maidenhair fern back in 2016 as an office fern, and since then it has grown huge.  The fronds are now about 50-60cm long. 

My Maidenhair fern
I also bought a variegated maidenhair fern, I didn't look after it very well so it has not grown as large.  The variegated form of Maidenhair ferns is exquisite.  


Variegated Maidenhair fern

As well as these older, well established ferns, I also have some baby maidenhair ferns.  

I transplanted a bunch into a pot in early January so they would have some room to grow, but still be in one pot so would be simple to care for.  

My timing was a mistake as it was too hot and windy on that day.  As you can see below the fronds got scorched a little.

Planted early January
 

I think that all of the tiny ferns survived, they grew and look healthy.  They are large enough to transplant into separate pots, but I think I will wait for spring before I do that. 

These ones I have grown outside under shelter rather than taking up space inside the house.  They probably need a little more light, but overall they are going ok. 

Mid April

Ready to be divided

I'm not sure what I will do with these little ones.  I plan to separate them into different pots in spring.  Maybe I will sell some, maybe I will keep all of them.  They sure are lovely little plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment