Keeping Black Rock Scorpion as a Pet
If you've read my previous article, A Lifelong Fascination with Scorpions, you'll already know that I've been fascinated by these incredible animals for as long as I can remember. That fascination eventually led me to keep a Black Rock Scorpion (Urodacus manicatus) as a pet, giving me the chance to observe its behaviour much more closely than I ever could in the wild.
One of the most remarkable things about scorpions is the way they glow under ultraviolet (UV) light. The first time you see it, it almost doesn't seem real. A scorpion that blends perfectly into its surroundings by day suddenly shines a vivid blue-green under a UV torch, making it stand out against the darkness. It's one of those natural phenomena that never seems to lose its sense of wonder.
In this article I'll explain why scorpions fluoresce, what scientists think the purpose might be, and share some observations from my own pet. I'll also discuss the basics of housing and caring for a Black Rock Scorpion, and why I think they make such fascinating animals to observe, even if they're not the sort of pet everyone would choose.
![]() |
| My black rock scorpion 'Ducky' |
Meet Ducky - My Black Rock Scorpion
Meet Ducky. Ducky is my black rock scorpion. My kids decided this scorpion was too cute to have a fearsome name, and thought 'Ducky' was an appropriate name, and it has stuck.
I have only had Ducky for a few months, and so far all is going well. Due to body shape and size/shape of pectines (comb like structures underneath the body) I think this is a female.
Ducky, like all black rock scorpions, are nocturnal. Normally I would not expect to see much of a scorpion, but Ducky can be quite active. At times I see Ducky walking around her enclosure, other times she is burrowing or even moving small things around. During cold weather she is less active, and on warmer days I am far more likely to see her.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links on this page may be affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through them (at no extra cost to you). These commissions help support my blog and allow me to continue sharing my experiments, observations, and growing experiences. I only share products that I think may be useful or interesting.
![]() |
| Scorpions glow under UV light |
Quick Facts: Black Rock Scorpion (Urodacus manicatus)
- Common name: Black Rock Scorpion
- Scientific name: Urodacus manicatus
- Native to: Southern and Eastern Australia
- Adult size: Around 4-6 cm long
- Lifespan: Up to 10-12 years in captivity
- Activity: Nocturnal
- Diet: Insects and other small invertebrates
- Temperament: Generally calm but will sting if threatened or handled
- Difficulty: Easy to moderate for beginners interested in invertebrates
- Can they climb glass? No
- Do they glow under UV light? Yes - almost all scorpions fluoresce under ultraviolet light
- Wildlife licence required? No licence is required to keep this species in Australia, although laws about collecting wild animals vary between States and Territories.
What Is a Black Rock Scorpion - Urodacus manicatus
The Black Rock Scorpion (Urodacus manicatus) is one of Australia's larger native scorpions. Despite their intimidating appearance, they are generally calm animals that spend much of their time hidden away in burrows or beneath rocks, emerging mostly at night to hunt insects and other small invertebrates.
One of the reasons I chose this species is that they are native to my area, and are legal to keep as pets in Australia without requiring a wildlife licence. They are also relatively calm, and lower maintenance than many other species. This makes them an excellent species for anyone interested in observing scorpion behaviour up close.
If you are thinking about getting one, I strongly recommend buying a captive-bred scorpion from a reputable breeder rather than collecting one from the wild. Captive-bred animals are already accustomed to life in captivity, and purchasing them avoids placing unnecessary pressure on wild populations.
It is also worth remembering that the rules around collecting native wildlife vary between Australian states and territories. Even where collecting may be permitted, there are often restrictions on where, when, and how animals can be taken (if at all). Checking your local regulations before considering wild collection, even from your own back yard, is always a good idea.
![]() |
| My scorpion exploring her enclosure |
Are Black Rock Scorpions Dangerous?
Black Rock Scorpions are capable of stinging if they are handled or feel threatened, but they are generally not considered medically significant for healthy adults. I have handled scorpions on and off for many years, and never been stung myself. I am told that the sting from a black rock scorpion hurts less than a bee sting.
Most stings cause localised pain, redness, and swelling that usually settles over time, although the severity can vary from person to person.
As with any sting, some people may experience a more severe reaction. Anyone who develops widespread swelling, difficulty breathing, dizziness, or other signs of an allergic reaction should seek urgent medical attention. If you have a known allergy to insect or arthropod stings, or if you are concerned about your symptoms, it is advisable to seek medical advice after being stung.
In most cases, the best approach is simply to admire Black Rock Scorpions from a distance and avoid handling them unnecessarily. They are shy, nocturnal animals that play an important role as predators of insects and other small invertebrates.
Why Do Scorpions Glow Under UV Light?
Scorpions are famous for glowing a bright blue-green colour under ultraviolet (UV) light. This isn't because they produce their own light.
Instead, chemicals in the outer layer of their exoskeleton absorb ultraviolet light and re-emit it as visible light, causing the scorpion to fluoresce. This means they only glow when a source of UV light, such as a blacklight or certain wavelengths of sunlight, shines on them.
![]() |
| Black Rock Scorpion under daylight |
![]() |
| Same scorpion under ultraviolet light |
Scientists still aren't entirely sure why scorpions fluoresce. Over the years, several ideas have been suggested, including that it helps them detect moonlight, avoid excessive exposure to ultraviolet radiation, or even plays a role in communication. So far, however, no single explanation has been proven, and the exact purpose remains something of a mystery.
Whatever the reason, fluorescence is a feature shared by almost all known scorpions (other than a few rare cave scorpions), making it a useful way for researchers (and curious naturalists) to find them at night.
If you've ever gone looking for scorpions with a UV torch, you'll know they stand out brilliantly against the dark ground, almost as though someone has painted them with a fluorescent marker.
![]() |
| Scorpions look incredible under UV light |
I use this small UV torch to make scorpions glow and make them easier to see. Interestingly, this UV torch makes many other things glow including lichen, honey, and some spider webs.
For international readers, this is the UV torch I recommend.
These torches are great, they are small, simple to use, and lightweight.
Below is a photo I took of a baby scorpion under regular light, and another photo taken a few seconds later using the UV torch. I know where the scorpion is in the first photo, but can't see it. Under ultra violet light it is difficult to miss!
![]() |
| Scorpion difficult to see with ambient light |
![]() |
| Scorpion glows brightly under UV light |
How To Care For Black Rock Scorpions
Different species of scorpions require different conditions to survive and thrive. Some live in sandy deserts, others live in cool moist mountain ranges. Understanding the habitat they come from helps you understand their needs if kept in captivity.
Temperature and Humidity
The natural range of Black Rock scorpions is the Eastern side of Australia. Populations exist from Adelaide, through lower VIC, through eastern NSW and ACT, right into southern QLD.
There are populations of black rock scorpions in cold damp places, as well as hotter more arid places. This is important as it means, unlike several other species, black rock scorpions don’t need a heater. It also means they are relatively adaptable and should survive in the conditions of my house.
Substrate and Burrowing
Black rock scorpions can get most of their moisture from the substrate they walk on, so I like to house them on damp coco peat and sand. I tend to keep some water in with them, a milk bottle lid with water is shallow enough that they won't fall in and drown.
They like to have something to hide under, in nature they will often dig a scrape under a rock. In captivity I find a thick piece of flat bark works well. I can lift this up when needed without fear of accidentally crushing my little scorpion.
Feeding and Handling
Black rock scorpions eat little invertebrates. Things that can't bite or sting them are best. Commercially available feeder insects such as wood roaches, crickets, and mealworms are great options. Sometimes I keep a small slater in the enclosure, or I will catch a small moth, just to give a bit of diversity in the diet, but more often I will use a feeder insect.
I find if I put the container of feeder crickets in the fridge for a few minutes the crickets slow down and they are easier to catch. I then use feeding tweezers as I think they are ideal for feeding scorpions.
For Australian readers, the feeding tweezers I use are available on Amazon.
For international readers, these long feeding tweezers are the ones I would recommend.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Enclosure Setup
Many scorpion collectors house them in plastic food containers, or glass tupperware containers. These certainly can work long term, but don't always look the greatest.
I prefer to use small plastic aquariums as they look good, provide ventilation, and are simple to clean.
For Australian readers, I use this aquarium from Amazon.
For international readers, I would recommend this small plastic aquarium.
For the substrate I use a mix of cocopeat and sand. This is easy to use, and good for Ducky to dig in. As mentioned, I tend to have a bottle lid with water, and a flat piece of bark that the scorpion can hide under. I also put in a few sticks and things as I like the look of it.
![]() |
| My scorpion enclosure |
Molting in Black Rock Scorpions
I have only had Ducky for a few months, most of which has been over winter, so she has not had a chance to moult yet. I did have a baby scorpion years ago that moulted.
If your scorpion moults, don't touch it. Leave it alone completely as it needs a few days for the exoskeleton to harden.
Scorpions often become very hungry leading up to a moult, then lose interest in food for several days afterwards. They usually find somewhere safe to hide, and when the time is right they slowly squeeze out of their old exoskeleton. The newly emerged scorpion is extremely soft and vulnerable until the new exoskeleton hardens. It is difficult to believe they can pull their large pincers through such narrow joints, but somehow they manage it.
Unlike something like a cicada, which splits open a large section of its back to emerge, scorpions carefully work their way out through an opening at the front of their old exoskeleton. It is remarkable to watch, but the best thing you can do is leave them alone. Interfering during a moult can cause serious injury or prevent them from successfully emerging.
![]() |
| Scorpion at night under UV light |
Watching Rather than Handling
One of the biggest surprises for me has been discovering that keeping a scorpion isn't about handling it.
Unlike many pets, the enjoyment comes from quietly watching natural behaviours such as digging burrows, rearranging substrate, stalking prey, or emerging after dark. The less they're disturbed, the more interesting they become.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Black Rock Scorpions climb glass?
How long do Black Rock Scorpions live?
What do Black Rock Scorpions eat?
Can you keep more than one scorpion together?
Do Black Rock Scorpions need UV light?
No. Black Rock Scorpions do not require ultraviolet lighting for their health or wellbeing. They naturally fluoresce under UV light because of chemicals in their exoskeleton, but this is different from needing UV exposure. While a UV torch is a fun way to observe their glow, it should only be used briefly rather than as a permanent light source.
![]() |
| Black rock scorpion under UV light |
Final Thoughts
Although I've only kept Ducky for a few months, keeping a Black Rock Scorpion has already been a fascinating experience. They are very different from more traditional pets, but that is part of what makes them so interesting. Rather than being an animal that seeks attention, a scorpion is something you observe and learn from over time. It is also a long term commitment, and not to be entered into lightly.
I find it amazing that such a small animal can have such a long evolutionary history and such specialised behaviours. Watching Ducky dig, explore her enclosure, and glow so brightly under UV light has given me a much greater appreciation for these often misunderstood creatures.
While they are not a pet for everyone, Black Rock Scorpions can be rewarding for people who enjoy observing natural behaviours and learning about unusual animals. They are quiet, fascinating, and surprisingly easy to care for when their basic needs are met.
For me, keeping Ducky has been another reminder that the natural world is full of interesting creatures hiding in plain sight. Sometimes the animals that people are quickest to fear are the ones that become the most fascinating once we take the time to understand them.











No comments:
Post a Comment