Thursday, 1 October 2026

Perennial Vegetables, Rare Edible Plants and Seeds - October 2026

For Sale: October 2026

October 2026 availability: current availability of perennial vegetable plants, seeds, and other unusual edible plants.

I grow a collection of unusual perennial vegetables, rare edible plants, heirloom seeds, aquatic plants, and other unusual living cultures in my home garden in Australia.  Everything is grown organically by me and in small seasonal batches.  

Most plants are available in small quantities only and some items may sell out during the month.  Availability changes through the year depending on growth cycles and dormancy.

If something is not listed below, it is not currently available this month.  For photographs, botanical names, growing notes, and detailed descriptions of these plants, see my perennial vegetable catalogue.  

Basil mint plant

How to Order

To order, please email me with the items you would like:

damien_beaumont [at] yahoo [dot] com [dot] au

(Replace [at] with @ and [dot] with .) 

I will reply with total cost and payment details.  Orders are posted on Mondays after payment clears.

Postage

  • $12 standard plant and item postage
  • $3.50 seeds only

Bare Rooted Perennial Plants ($5 each unless noted)

Perennial Onions & Alliums

  • Babington leek
  • Everlasting onion

Other Perennial Vegetables 

  • Asparagus - purple
  • French sorrel

Culinary Edible Herbs (Perennial)

  • Brahmi/water hyssop  
  • Jekka's thyme
  • Green water parsley (more vigorous stronger tasting than the variegated form)  
  • Lavender mint 
  • Lemon balm
  • Lemongrass
  • Lime balm
  • Peppermint
  • Sweet violet
  • Vietnamese coriander/Laksa herb
  • Vietnamese fish mint 
  • Variegated water parsley (attractive variegated foliage)
  • Watercress 
  • Willow herb  

Berries & Fruit

  • Pineberry strawberry
  • Pomegranate (seed grown)

Aquatic Plants

  • Azolla – $3 per scoop
  • Duckweed – $3 per scoop

Heirloom and Open-Pollinated Seeds ($4 per packet)

A selection of heirloom, open-pollinated, and home-bred vegetable seeds for seasonal growing in Australian conditions, including rare and unusual vegetable seeds.
  • Black raspberry seed (not plants) (note: requires at least 3 months cold wet stratification to germinate)
  • Giant parsley mix (from my breeding project)
  • Hon Tsai Tai / Choy Sum (purple stem) 
  • Huacatay
  • Immali corn (my own sweet corn breeding project producing purple/pink and white kernels)
  • Muscari grape hyacinth - seeds only, not bulbs
  • Papalo (limited number of packets)
  • Purple hot mustard
  • Purple asparagus
  • Senposai
  • Tomato Snow White
  • Tomato Speckled Roman 
  • Tomato Tommy Toe

Traditional Living Fermentation Cultures - Kefir & Ferments 

I maintain and reculture several traditional cultures myself, including milk kefir, kombucha, Swedish Filmjölk, Matsoni, and Viili.

I'm currently keeping these cultures for my own use rather than offering them for sale at the moment. 
If you're looking for a particular culture, particularly a rarer culture, it may be easier to start with a commercial freeze-dried starter culture.

The following two links are affiliate links, if you buy through these I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. 

I have bought several different cultures from Bacillus Bulgaricus and have been impressed with them. They have an impressive range, the prices seemed reasonable, and I found their freeze-dried cultures quick and easy to use.  I haven't tried every culture they sell, but the ones I have bought all worked well for me. 

For Australia only, NourishMe Organics has a wide range of equipment and supplies that are useful for home fermenting, as well as a few cultures not currently available through Bacillus Bulgaricus.

NEW - Captive Bred Isopods

Healthy captive bred isopods descended from colonies originally collected in my own organic garden.  These fascinating little crustaceans are excellent decomposers and are ideal for bioactive terrariums, vivariums, compost systems, or simply kept and observed as an interesting backyard ecosystem project.

Rough Slaters: Porcellio scaber

  • Starter Culture: 15-20 mixed-age isopods
  • Larger Culture: 40-50 mixed-age isopods
  • Mostly wild grey, may have some attractive mottled brown individuals.

Roll up isopod: Armadillidium vulgare

  • Starter Culture: 15-20 mixed-age isopods
  • Larger Culture: 40-50 mixed-age isopods
  • Mostly gunmetal grey, some with naturally occurring yellow markings.

Pick up or can be posted to NSW, VIC, ACT, QLD and SA (weather permitting).

Introductory price:

  • Starter Culture: $18
  • Larger Culture: $30

Ornamentals/Succulents/Houseplants/Cuttings

  • African violet leaf cutting – 'New Hampshire' $3
  • African violet leaf cutting – double light blue (unnamed variety) $3
  • Aloe vera - small plants $5 
  • Crescent cup liverwort $3
  • Red jelly bean succulent  - plant $5, cuttings $2
  • Ruby necklace - cuttings $2
  • String of beans succulent (sourced from Coober Pedy) - plant $5, cuttings  $2
  • String of pearls succulent - plant $5, cuttings $2
  • Plectranthus Succulent (unnamed variety) $5 
African violet leaves - ready for planting

New to Mudflower?

If this is your first order, you're welcome to start with just one or two plants.  Many people start with a small first order and come back later for more once they've had a chance to see how the plants grow.

If you're looking for something else, have a look through the full plant and seed catalogue.  Many varieties are seasonal and only available at different times of the year.  That page also contains photographs, botanical names, growing notes, and detailed descriptions of these plants.  

Please note my catalogue page lists a lot of things not currently in season/not currently for sale.  The only things I have for sale this month are listed in this blog post above. 

I Try To Include Extra Plants

I have been including extra plants or seeds with orders since I began selling in 2009.  Plants can occasionally be damaged in transit, and I want you to have a good chance of getting them established and producing a crop.  When possible, I try to include extras at no additional charge.  This isn't guaranteed, particularly when I am running low on a particular plant or seed.

A Little Gardening Gift

I have a gift voucher for theseedcollection.com.au that I'm giving away to another gardener.  If you know someone who would really enjoy a little gardening gift - or you'd like to nominate yourself - you can read about the giveaway and nominate someone here [link coming 14 October].

Recommended Books

These are some of the gardening books that have influenced me most over the years.  I don't recommend books simply because they're popular, these are books I've actually found useful in growing unusual vegetables, propagating plants and saving seed.

Disclaimer: the links below are affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you.  I only include books or equipment I actively use or strongly recommend for growing the plants in this catalogue.

Seed to Seed, Suzanne Ashworth  
This is the most widely used seed-saving reference book and one I still rely on regularly.  It gives clear, plant-by-plant instructions for saving seed from vegetables and herbs, helping you maintain reliable strains and preserve genetic diversity in a home garden. 
Best for: anyone saving seed from the vegetables, especially leafy greens, legumes, and herbs.

Perennial Vegetables: From Artichokes to Zuiki Taro, a Gardener's Guide to Over 100 Delicious and Easy to Grow Edibles, Eric Toensmeier  
A foundational reference for anyone interested in perennial vegetables.  It covers over 100 perennial vegetables, including many species featured in this catalogue, from common artichokes to lesser known edible perennials.
Best for: building a perennial food garden and exploring unusual edible species.

Lost crops of the Incas 
I love this book!  This one got me started in rare and underutilised vegetables.  It explores traditional Andean crops and highlights many species that are still rarely grown outside their native regions.
Best for: rare crop inspiration and expanding beyond standard vegetable varieties.  

Lost crops of Africa 
A detailed overview of African traditional food crops, their nutrition, and their potential for wider cultivation.  Many of these plants are highly resilient and well suited to harsh or variable climates.
Best for: climate resilient and underused food plants.

The Complete Book of Plant Propagation, H. L. Hartmann
A comprehensive guide to propagation techniques including seeds, cuttings, grafting, and layering.  This is a technical reference, but extremely valuable if you are propagating plants from this catalogue.
Best for: cuttings, grafting, and scaling up rare plants.


No comments:

Post a Comment