Russian Made Easy Podcast Review: My Experience After Completing the Course
I finished all 30 lessons of Russian Made Easy, which took me considerably longer than I expected. I found the course through recommendations from other Russian learners, and after finishing it I thought it was worth writing down what I actually got from it.
This isn't a review from a language teacher or linguist, I'm simply an adult learner studying Russian in my spare time. If you're looking for more Russian learning resources, I've also put together my guide to Russian learning resources, where I compare podcasts, textbooks, YouTube channels, and beginner-friendly courses that I've personally used.
![]() |
| Some of my Russian flash cards |
Why I Started With Russian Made Easy Podcast
I originally began learning Russian because it is the language of my ancestors. It is a part of my family history that was taken, and learning the language has become one way of reconnecting with that heritage.
Like many beginners, I quickly realised why Russian grammar has a reputation for being intimidating. Cases, verb endings, and unfamiliar sounds can make it seem overwhelming.
Several experienced learners recommended the free Russian Made Easy podcast, so I decided to start there before buying any textbooks. I'm very glad I did.
What Is Russian Made Easy Podcast? A Free Russian Course for Beginners
Russian Made Easy podcast is a free audio course aimed at complete beginners. It also has a media centre, which includes a bunch of free resources that I found made it easier to complete the course.
Rather than asking you to memorise hundreds of vocabulary words immediately, it focuses on helping you recognise patterns within the language. It introduces the idea that Russian grammar is often much more logical than it first appears.
How long does it take to complete Russian Made Easy Podcast?
This varies significantly by person. You should take as long as you need.
I heard of some people completing the 30 lessons in 30 days. That's great for them, but is far too fast for me - I would not learn or remember anything at that speed.
I completed a lesson on average 2 or 3 times per week, and I redid each lesson as many times as I needed to until I knew all the words in that lesson and felt like I understood concept of the grammar. Some lessons I only needed to do once or twice before moving on, while others took me several weeks to master.
All in all, doing about 2 or 3 lessons per week, redoing lessons and not moving on before I felt like I had mastered each lesson, it took me about 9 or 10 months to complete the Russian Made Easy podcasts.
![]() |
| Some of my Russian learning notes |
Making the course easier to complete
I found it helpful to make my own handwritten flash cards for new vocabulary and grammar patterns. The course explains that the act of physically writing them out helps you recall what you learned. I still go back through mine regularly.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you buy through these links, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I use these index cards as they are the perfect size for me and generally a good price. They're sturdy enough to survive being carried around in my pocket, and I've ended up with quite a stack after working through the course. They also come in handy when learning new words and phrases from other sources.
I also kept a dedicated notebook beside me while listening. Whenever the presenter explained a grammar pattern or introduced something that finally "clicked", I'd write it down in my own words. Looking back through those notes has been useful when revising.
The lessons are easy to listen to while walking, driving, or doing jobs around the house. Because each episode builds on the previous one, I'd recommend listening to them in order. I also go over a lesson multiple times if needed, just so I remember it properly.
I usually listened to the lessons while walking or doing jobs around the house. A good pair of noise-cancelling earbuds made it much easier to hear the pronunciation clearly, especially when I was somewhere noisy. I've been using my Jabra noise cancelling earbuds for several years now and they've been excellent for language learning.
![]() |
| Jabra noise-cancelling earbuds |
Can You Become Fluent with Russian Made Easy Podcast?
No.
By the end of the course I certainly wasn't fluent in Russian. I couldn't hold conversations with native speakers, I couldn't watch Russian TV without subtitles, and I still had plenty to learn.
What had changed was my confidence. Before the podcast, Russian seemed almost impossible to understand. After finishing it, I could recognise many of the patterns that previously seemed random. Grammar no longer felt like an impossible collection of incomprehensible rules. The podcast also prepared me extremely well for my next steps.
What I wish I did first
While you certainly could complete this course without learning the Cyrillic alphabet, or ever writing anything, I highly recommend learning the alphabet first.
I hadn't planned on ever learning the alphabet because I wanted to learn how to speak, not how to write. I completed around 4 episodes of RussianMadeEasy without knowing how to read any Russian at all, and things were progressing nicely.
Learning the alphabet, however, was a game changer for me. It took me under an hour, cost me nothing, dramatically increased how quickly I could pick up the language, and opened up a whole world of learning that had previously been out of my reach.
I used some free resources to learn the alphabet. I strongly recommend:
- https://www.russianforeveryone.com/RufeA/Lessons/Introduction/Alphabet/Alphabet.htm - a free online Cyrilic alphabet lesson. It has some audio, which I needed. I doubt I could learn the alphabet without hearing the sounds of each letter. I used this and learned the alphabet in under an hour! I could hardly believe how simple it was.
- https://russianaccelerator.com/read-russian.html - a free set of videos to learn Cyrillic in three hours. These short videos are very comprehensive, I found them interesting, and they also teach a few words. They helped me better understand the letters that don't make sounds. These videos were made by the same company as Russian Made Easy. I only did a few of them to compliment what I hadn't understood from the Russianforeveryone link.
The Perfect Follow-Up Resource
After completing the Russian Made Easy Podcast I started working through The New Penguin Russian Course. This turned out to be an excellent combination for me.
The podcast gave me enough understanding of Russian grammar that the early chapters of the textbook felt much less intimidating.
I'm currently working through the textbook at a fairly slow pace, usually one lesson every three or four days, and I honestly think I would have struggled much more and probably given up without first completing the podcast. If you're thinking of buying a textbook after finishing Russian Made Easy Podcast, I would recommend starting with The New Penguin Russian Course.
Amazon affiliate link to The New Penguin Russian Course
![]() |
| My copy of The New Penguin Russian Course beside my notebook and headphones |
What I Like About Russian Made Easy Podcast
1. It's Free
One of the biggest advantages is obvious.
The entire course costs nothing other than time and (for me, quite a lot of) effort. That makes it one of the easiest ways to find out whether learning Russian is something you genuinely want to pursue.
2. It Makes Grammar Less Scary
Russian grammar has a reputation for being difficult. Instead of overwhelming beginners with technical explanations, the podcast gradually introduces concepts in a way that feels manageable. I found this much less intimidating than jumping straight into a traditional textbook. You have to start somewhere, and I prefer starting with small, manageable steps.
3. The Lessons Are Easy to Listen To
Each lesson is about 20 minutes long, which I found to be a manageable length. They also have a 'tip of the day' section to split up each lesson which helps you retain what you just learned.
I often listened while gardening, walking, or doing chores. Using noise-cancelling earbuds helped me concentrate on the lesson rather than background noise, and I found I noticed pronunciation much more easily. Amazon affiliate link to Jabra earbuds
4. It Builds Confidence
Perhaps the biggest benefit for me wasn't always about building vocabulary. It was realising that Russian grammar actually follows logical patterns. Understanding the basic patterns made it much easier to start using a proper textbook afterwards.
| Screen shot of Russian Made Easy Podcast transcript - it describes things in easy to understand ways |
Things I Didn't Like
Sadly, the Russian Made Easy podcast isn't perfect.
The biggest limitation is that the podcast isn't a complete Russian course. Nor does it claim to be one. By itself it won't teach you everything you need. Eventually you'll need additional resources for reading, writing, grammar practice, listening to native speakers, and building vocabulary.
I also found myself wanting written notes to review between episodes. Luckily the website had notes and a transcript of each episode in the online media center.
Who Is Russian Made Easy Podcast Best For?
I think this course is excellent for:
people like me who are too cheap to buy resources before they have some skills
complete beginners
people nervous about Russian grammar
learners who prefer listening
If you already have an intermediate level of Russian, it could be still worth doing but you'll probably outgrow this fairly quickly. You will also probably go through the course a lot faster than I did.
Who should not do Russian Made Easy Podcast?
I wouldn't recommend this as your only resource if:
- you already speak Russian comfortably
- you want grammar drills
- you prefer textbooks
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Russian Made Easy Podcast really free?
Yes. At the time I completed it, the podcast was available free of charge.
Is it enough to become fluent?
No.
After finishing the podcast I tried an online CEFR placement test and scored 12/50, well below A1 (which is the lowest recognised level). That wasn't too surprising, it simply confirmed what the course promises. It provides a foundation rather than complete language proficiency.
Russian Made Easy Podcast is an excellent introduction, but you'll eventually need additional resources if you want to read, write, and speak confidently.
What should I study after Russian Made Easy Podcast?
For me, The New Penguin Russian Course was the ideal next step.
I wrote a Review of The New Penguin Russian Course which goes into detail of my experience using that text book. I honestly think it's great, but would probably not have been able to complete it without having completed and understood Russian Made Easy Podcast first.
It expands on many of the concepts introduced in the podcast while providing much more detailed grammar explanations and written exercises.
Amazon affiliate link to The New Penguin Russian Course
Can children use Russian Made Easy?
Yes, absolutely. The lessons are easy enough for kids to understand. This isn't a 'game' so may not be best for very young children or those with less motivation, but I found it fun and interesting.
Can I finish Russian Made Easy Podcast in a month?
Do I need to learn Cyrillic first?
No. It would be possible to complete without learning Cyrillic. I completed a few episodes, and then learned Cyrillic, and I found that really helped my learning take off. Learning Cyrillic took me under an hour, and took my kids under half an hour, and cost us nothing. I highly recommend learning the Cyrillic alphabet.
What equipment do I use while studying Russian?
Nothing particularly fancy. I normally listen to Russian Made Easy Podcast using my phone and a pair of Jabra noise-cancelling earbuds, and I keep a notebook beside me to write down new words or grammar points. I also followed recommendations of the course and bought some blank flash cards/index cards, which I found tremendously useful in helping me remember new words and short phrases. I don't think expensive equipment is necessary, but I do find good earbuds make it easier to hear pronunciation clearly.
Amazon affiliate link to Jabra earbuds
Is Russian Made Easy Podcast Worth It?
Absolutely.
If I were starting Russian again tomorrow, I'd begin with learning the Cyrillic alphabet, then I would complete Russian Made Easy Podcast.
It removed much of the fear I had about Russian grammar and gave me enough confidence to begin studying from a proper textbook. It also explains in simple terms why/how grammar is used. By providing the literal translation, it helped me understand why to use certain word endings, and then apply them to entirely different sentences.
I still have a long way to go, but looking back I think it provided an excellent foundation.
Russian Made Easy vs The New Penguin Russian Course
This isn't really an "either/or" choice.
Having now completed Russian Made Easy and started working through The New Penguin Russian Course, I actually think they complement each other extremely well.
If I had started with the textbook alone, I suspect I would have found the early grammar much more intimidating. Although the book explains things clearly, it assumes you're ready to think about how Russian works rather than simply learning useful phrases. Russian Made Easy gave me that foundation.
By the time I opened The New Penguin Russian Course, ideas like cases, word endings, and grammar patterns no longer seemed completely abstract. I certainly didn't understand everything, but I wasn't starting from zero either. The textbook then takes those ideas much further. It explains the grammar in detail, gives plenty of exercises, and gradually builds reading and writing skills alongside vocabulary.
If someone asked me today where to begin, this would be my recommendation:
Learn the Cyrillic alphabet for free.
Complete the free Russian Made Easy podcast.
Work through The New Penguin Russian Course slowly.
Continue listening to Russian podcasts and watching beginner YouTube videos for extra listening practice.
That combination has worked far better for me than relying on any single resource.
For Australian readers: Amazon Australia affiliate link to The New Penguin Russian Course
For International readers: Amazon affiliate link to The New Penguin Russian Course
Russian Made Easy Podcast vs Duolingo
My kids have used Duolingo a bit for learning Russian. I didn't think it was bad, but I also would not begin my learning journey with Duolingo.
I think Russian Made Easy explains grammar much better, while Duolingo gives more daily vocabulary practice. If I had to choose one, I'd start with Russian Made Easy and then use Duolingo for extra practice.
Summary of Russian Made Easy vs The New Penguin Russian Course
If you're wondering whether to start with Russian Made Easy or The New Penguin Russian Course, here's how I found they compare after completing the podcast and working through the first 12 lessons of the textbook.| Feature | Russian Made Easy | The New Penguin Russian Course |
|---|---|---|
| Price | Free | Paid - textbook |
| Best for | Complete beginners | Long-term self-study |
| Listening practice | Excellent - voices from several native speakers | Not from a textbook |
| Grammar explanations | Gentle introduction so you understand when/why to use various parts of grammar | Detailed and comprehensive |
| Reading & writing | Very limited (yet highly encouraged) | Excellent |
| Vocabulary | Moderate | Extensive |
| Time required | 30 audio lessons - about 20 mins each | 500+ pages at your own pace |
| My recommendation | Start with Russian Made Easy, then move on to The New Penguin Russian Course. | |
More Russian Resources
If you're interested in learning Russian, or learning about Russian food or gardening, you might also enjoy:
Complete Guide to Russian Learning Resources - free and low cost resources that I have used while learning Russian
My Honest Review of The New Penguin Russian Course - I really like this book, I share why it helped and the downsides
Making Tvorog at Home - how I make this simple fresh farmer's cheese, it's not the traditional method but it is super easy and it works
Making Milk Kefir - Very simple instructions on how I have been making milk kefir since 2010
The Weird History of Milk Kefir - this ancient Russian fermented milk has a long and fascinating history
Russian Heirloom Tomatoes - some of the heirloom Russian tomato varieties that I grow




No comments:
Post a Comment