Saturday 19 June 2021

Variegated 'snow queen' pothos

I like pothos (Epipremnum aureum), it is an ornamental climbing plant that survives through a lot of hostile conditions.  They are ornamental but they don't produce showy flowers, and they are not edible.  I used to have one growing  near me in office work back before they got rid of all the plants.  I really miss having office plants. 

I have read on monster fish keeping forums how some people use pothos to lower nitrates in fish tanks.  Their results are nothing short of remarkable.  I have also read a NASA experiment (and things written by people who greatly misunderstand that experiment and have misinterpreted its results) about pothos and purifying the air. 

I have seen snow queen pothos for sale online and really can't justify the money to buy one.  A while ago I found a small variegated pothos plant for sale in a shop that really isn't known for selling live plants.  It was a fraction of the prices I have seen online and I think it is 'snow queen' pothos.  It was a little banged up, but I figured it would come good in time.

Pothos plant not long after I got it

Over the next few months my plant declined badly.  It died back, leaves rotted, and died back some more.  

Eventually my little pothos plant was nothing but one sick looking leaf and a nub of a plant that was starting to turn to mush.  

I was worried that I would lose this one and repotted the plant.  It was originally potted in what looked like cocopeat.  I even went so far as to wash what was left of the roots before planting in soil.

Presumably my pothos did not like cocopeat because after repotting into soil it picked up, survived, and has grown slowly since then.  

My plant is healthy and strong now.

Pothos plant - looks fake but is real

I like the variegation in this plant, I particularly like how white the white is and how it has different shades of green.  The white is very white, which I quite like.  Some leaves can be almost entirely white while others can be mostly green.

Snow Queen pothos looks great, but for me is a relatively slow grower.  While it looks amazing I won't be able to use it in aquaponics as I don't think it will grow fast enough to make any difference to the water quality.

I grow this pothos in the bathroom, it gets indirect light

I recently got a cutting from an all green variety of pothos, it has larger leaves and a lot more area to photosynthesize so should be much faster growing.  

It hasn't started growing roots yet, but it should grow them in time.  All green plants tend to be a lot faster growing than variegated plants, so the all green pothos should be better to use in the filter of fish tanks to lower nitrates.  

Green pothos cutting

I hope my pothos cutting goes well, I only have the one so all my eggs are in one basket.  I am keeping it in water for now, once the little root shows any sign of growth I plan to plant this in a pot of soil.  Or maybe I will plant it in a pot of soil next weekend.

One day I would like to also get marble queen pothos, I think they look amazing.  I really can't justify the price of buying one as they are surprisingly expensive here, so will have to keep an eye out and see if anyone is willing to trade a cutting, or maybe I will be lucky enough to find a plant somewhere and be able to take a cutting for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment