Saturday 29 July 2023

Oriental Summer Jade Spinach days to maturity

This winter I am growing a bunch of different leaf vegetables.  Among these leafy vegetables was spinach, as this always performs well for me over winter.  

Normally I get whatever variety of spinach seed that is available, and for no particular reason I rarely save spinach seed myself.  This year I chose Oriental Summer Jade spinach.  

I chose this variety as I don't have much luck growing spinach over summer, and this variety is meant to handle the heat well.  I am growing it over winter at the moment, and it is performing as well as any other variety I have grown.  

The days from planting the seed in the garden until picking the leaves is below.  Being in Australia, the date is written Day/Month/Year.

Days to maturity Spinach Oriental Summer Jade (Spinacia oleracea)
Planted in garden      09/04/2023   Day 0
Germinate                 16/04/2023   Day 7
Baby leaf                  14/05/2023   Day 35
Larger leaf                We have been picking leaves of increasing size ever since the baby leaf stage

Oriental Summer Jade Spinach
Oriental Summer Jade Spinach

For some reason I don't often get around to saving spinach seed, which I always regret after a few years when I plant the last of my seed and need to buy more.  Spinach tends to be dioecious, which means some plants are female and other plants are male.  There aren't a lot of vegetables like this.  Occasionally some spinach plants, and some varieties of spinach, are monoecious with female and male flowers on the same plant.  

For a long list of days from planting a seed until harvest of many different vegetables and berries, please look at my Guide on Days to Vegetable Harvest.  As above, I recorded days from planting the seed until harvesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment