Friday 4 August 2023

Daffodil seed grown

I wrote an earlier post on how I was growing daffodils from seed.  At that stage I had one seed grown daffodil that had flowered.  That is a strong plant, it grows long stems with multiple highly fragrant flowers, and the bulb divides quite well.   

As well as that vigorous daffodil I had a few of its siblings that had not yet flowered.  Perhaps they were not as vigorous, perhaps they had too much competition where I planted them.  They had not yet bloomed, and were not dividing as much.  Most were slightly shorter plants, but this may even out once they mature.  

Recently one of these less vigorous seed grown daffodils flowered.  They are completely white, quite fragrant, and look nothing like its sibling.  The petals are much pointier than the yellow one.

First flowers from my daffodil seedling

As you can see below, compared to its sibling the plant is smaller, and the flower stalk is shorter.  

As this is the first time it has flowered, it is expected that it will be a bit smaller.  It is difficult to know what this will be like next year.  Maybe it will have more flowers per stalk, maybe the flower stalks will be taller, perhaps each flower will be slightly larger, I don't know yet.  


The yellow daffodil and white daffodil are siblings

I am not yet sure what I think of this new white daffodil.  I will certainly let it grow for another year to see how it performs.  From there I can decide if I want to keep it or not.  I tend to get a bit sentimental with things I grew from seed, so perhaps I will keep it even if I am not impressed with it.  

The yellow one on the other hand is one of the most vigorous daffodil I have grown.  It flowered a few years earlier than its siblings, and each year it seems to divide into several flowering sized bulbs.  



You may notice that there are not many flower stalks of the yellow daffodil.  That is because I cut the flowers once they open and bring them inside so we can enjoy them and their fragrance.  

I let strawberries grow among the daffodils.  While that seemed like a good idea at the time I am not sure if that was a great idea as it makes management a bit tricky.  

Yellow seed grown daffodil is very vigorous



I keep thinking that I should name and divide my yellow seed grown daffodil, then offer some of its bulbs for sale.  I also have a few impressive daffodils that I did not breed (such as Marieke) that I keep thinking I should divide and offer for sale.  If I ever do this I will try to list them on my for sale page.  


No comments:

Post a Comment