My Simple Experiment Making Buckwheat Sourdough Bread with Two Ingredients and No Starter
You can make a simple buckwheat sourdough bread using only soaked buckwheat groats and home made active kombucha. I tried it as an experiment and it fermented successfully without a traditional sourdough starter or commercial yeast.
Sometimes the best kitchen experiments start with a simple question. I already had kombucha continuously brewing, a bag of buckwheat in the pantry, and I knew both kombucha and sourdough rely on live yeasts. That got me wondering: could I make buckwheat sourdough bread using just those two ingredients? There was only one way to find out.
In its simplest form, sourdough is a mix of yeasts that have partially digested some flour, and this mixture is baked to make bread.
I then started thinking about the living cultures I keep that contain yeasts. I make milk kefir, I have filmjölk, and I brew kombucha, two of which contain (among other things) many species of live yeasts. While commercial baker's yeast is typically a single species, sourdough cultures often contain a diverse mix of wild yeasts and bacteria.
At this point in time I am not loving wheat. While I have had enough of wheat for now, I am particularly fond of buckwheat. I eat buckwheat for breakfast every day. I began to think if I have many species of living yeasts, and I have buckwheat, why not try to make sourdough buckwheat bread.
I figured I could get some buckwheat, mix with kombucha, make it into a dough, let it ferment for a while, and bake it into a sourdough bread. Sounds simple enough, surely nothing much could go wrong. Worst case scenario it would taste bad, and I would feed it to the chickens.
I gave making buckwheat sourdough bread a try, and it worked well. I was almost surprised at how simple the process was and how good the bread turned out.
![]() |
| Buckwheat sourdough bread |
I Made Up My Own Recipe
After trying this I looked on the internet for sourdough buckwheat recipes. In hind sight I should have looked for recipes first just in case this wasn't just common sense.
It didn't matter too much in this case because it seems I was on the right track, there are a bunch of recipes on the internet that do pretty much what I tried.
Sourdough certainly has its complexities, but for a simple loaf like this, common sense gets you surprisingly far.
![]() |
| Sourdough buckwheat bread - first attempt |
My recipe did not make enough dough. Given the size of my bread tin, it would have been better using 2 cups of buckwheat and 1 cup kombucha. I also think had I left it to ferment longer it would have been fluffier. Other than that, I could not be happier with this attempt.
My super simple buckwheat sourdough recipe
(next time I will double the ingredients).
Ingredients:
1 cup raw buckwheat groats
1/2 cup kombucha liquid
Instructions:
1) Soak 1 cup raw buckwheat groats in water for 6 (or more) hours.
2) Drain liquid, but do not rinse.
3) Put buckwheat through blender until it becomes liquidy.
4) Add 1/2 cup of kombucha liquid. Blend until mixed together.
5) Put in something that is not metallic, cover to keep out insects but still lets in air. Leave overnight to ferment.
6) Line a bread tin with baking paper. Add the buckwheat / kombucha dough (this could be left to rise for fluffier bread).
7) Bake in oven around 180C for about an hour.
![]() |
| Buckwheat kombucha slurry from step 5 |
![]() |
| It had some bubbles, but would have been fluffier had I left it longer |
The End Result Was Good
![]() |
| Buckwheat sourdough loaf |
![]() |
| I put butter between these slices and let it melt in to the bread |
I had a little bread left over that I ate the next morning. It may be my imagination, but it seemed fluffier. I liked it more the second day.
Other than wanting to double the recipe as the loaf produced was too small, the only down side I can see to this recipe is the price. It's too expensive to make this more than once in a while, especially if I use 2 cups of buckwheat.
![]() |
| Buckwheat sourdough bread |
Related Fermentation Articles
If you enjoy experimenting with fermented foods, you might also find these guides helpful:
- How to Make Filmjölk at Home - A simple guide to culturing Swedish fermented milk with just two ingredients
- Filmjölk vs Kefir - My comparison after making and drinking both regularly
- Making Milk Kefir at Home - Everything beginners need to know to keep healthy kefir grains.
- Farmer's Kefir Cheese (Tvorog) Recipe - A simple recipe to make Tvorog traditional farmer's cheese using milk kefir
- What Happens If You Ferment Filmjölk for 4 Weeks - my experiment pushing the limits of filmjölk
- Two Ingredient Buckwheat Sourdough with Kefir coming in August - My experience making gluten free sourdough using milk kefir and buckwheat








No comments:
Post a Comment