I first planted saffron (Crocus sativus) around 2018, and after growing saffron continuously for several years in the Canberra region, I have learned a few things about what works (and what didn't). In late April this year my saffron started flowering. It normally flowers around Easter for me, the last two years my saffron has been a little later than normal.
I find saffron easy to grow organically. Saffron seems especially well suited to the conditions of the Canberra region.
I have received a few questions about saffron, plus it flowered recently, and I thought I would write another blog post on it.
![]() |
| Saffron crocus flower pulled apart to show my kids |
Why I'm hesitant to write this post
Last time I wrote a blog post on saffron my blog received several unpleasant comments such as the one below. Other messages were calling me names and other messages telling me to kill myself.
At the time, I didn't know who was sending them, or why.
| One comment left on my blog |
Without going into detail, I later came across information that caused me to believe some of the comments may have been connected to people I had known through a baptist church I attended several years earlier.
![]() |
| Saffron threads - the darker coloured area is strongest |
Why the Canberra region is ideal for growing saffron
![]() |
| Saffron threads stored in a little glass jar |
What saffron plants look like
![]() |
| Saffron plants sprouting |
This year, mostly due to over crowding, I did not get a lot of saffron flowers. As you can see, this pot has far too many corms. I have a few pots of saffron, most are crowded. I ran out of space and decided it was better to crowd them for a year or two rather than not planting at all.
![]() |
| Saffron top dressed with compost |
![]() |
| Saffron plants look like grass |
Saffron corm flowering size
![]() |
| Saffron corms are dormant over summer |
Saffron needs heat when dormant
One study identified 17 viruses that affect saffron, and other studies suggest saffron yields may be decreased by several more viruses. As saffron can't be grown from seed, virus load could potentially be an issue.
Luckily, the traditional way to grow saffron effectively eliminates viruses. One study states that saffron viruses can be eliminated by thermotherapy, this is where the corms spend 30 to 40 days at 35 °C. You could place corms in an incubator for 40 days to eliminate virus load, but this can be avoided.
Saffron needs a hot dry summer to flower well, this is likely because it is destroying the virus load.
When growing saffron, some years I leave the corms in the soil, others I dig and lift them. I store the lifted saffron corms in a mesh bag in my garage. Over summer it is hot in my garage, it reaches over 35C, and while the temperature drops at night it rises the following day. Most summers the corms in my garage get more than 40 days of these high temperatures, which naturally eliminates virus load without the need for an incubator. In the Canberra region, these higher temperatures are reached naturally over summer.
My saffron usually flowers well each year, I guess this is because it has had the virus load largely eliminated through storing the corms hot and dry.
![]() |
| Saffron flowers are pretty, and they smell nice |
Increasing saffron yield
Interestingly, I've read a few studies such as https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC6604984/ which indicate natural soil bacteria can help saffron yields increase.
Plant Growth Promoting Rhizobacteria are natural soil bacteria. Some species, such as Curtobacterium herbarum, are demonstrated in several studies to increase the number of saffron flowers and significantly enhance the length of the saffron filaments.
I grow everything organically, and have a large range of plants growing. While I am not sure if C herbarum is present in my soil, there is a good chance it may be. It is present in the Canberra region, and given the wide range of plants I grow there is a good chance it has inoculated at least one of them, and should be able to spread from there to my saffron.
If this species is present, research suggests it should increase the number of flowers, and the length of the threads. This may be another of the possible reasons why my saffron usually flowers well each year.
![]() |
| Saffron from 1 small corm - 3 flowers |
Growing saffron at home is cheaper
Growing your own saffron at home organically is nice, and it is cheaper than buying this spice from the shops. Given where the majority of saffron in the world is grown, presumably saffron will become even more expensive as time goes on.
To give an idea of the benefit:cost ratio of growing your own saffron, one company in Victoria currently sells small packets of saffron threads for $3. These packets contain 6-9 threads, which is meant to be enough saffron for an average dish for 4 people.
To give an idea of how much this is, the pictures of the little glass jar on this blog post contain 9 threads. Small saffron corms tend to produce 3 or 4 flowers each, which produce 9-12 threads in their first year. This means in their first year, each small saffron corm using current retail prices, produces about $3 worth of saffron threads.
Each year after that the saffron corms tend to grow larger, and produce more flowers. Individual corms also multiply. All of this means your initial small investment keeps paying for itself more and more as time goes on.
![]() |
| Organically grown saffron threads |
Where to buy saffron corms
If you are interested in growing your own organic saffron at home, I sell saffron corms over summer when they are dormant. I can post to most of Australia, but not overseas at this stage.
I've never tried to post the spice itself, only the live corms for people to grow their own. I guess I could post saffron spice in little glass jars or something like that. I may give that a try in the future.
The Canberra region is pretty perfect for growing saffron, it has hot dry summers and cold winters. I am sure saffron can also grow well in many other places, but have only tried growing it in the Canberra region.











No comments:
Post a Comment